Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Artwork with meaningful interpretations

What is artwork with meaning behind it? In other words, what type of art is counted as meaningful instead of just copying a simple animated cartoon character from a show?


This last summer I was really interested in painting with acrylics but I'm not exactly the most artistic student you'll ever find. I painted very simple paintings that you could probably find online or I copied sea animals and scenery that I thought were pleasing to the eye. Over the summer I used painting as a stress reliever, I would paint all evening until the sun went down. Now as I look back, there were no true feelings or meanings I could pull from the artwork, all of them were straightforward with no depth or details included.


What's the point of art if there is no emotion behind it?
Every good artist should have a meaning or interpretation of some sort that can help others understand the painter's life or to connect within society. This question motivated me into becoming a better artist, I want to build a better foundation on how to use certain colors, symbols, and canvases to bring art to life by connecting it with society. That's why I decided to read The Painter's Eye Learning to Look at Contemporary American Art by Jan Greenberg and Sandra Jordan.


Summer Artwork






















For my first blog post I decided to connect my painting with the most recent novel we just finished, "The Bean Trees" By Barbara Kingsolver.

I want my paintings to connect with the social justice issue presented through the book in a creative way. For the first painting I created to connect with the book was a painting of different types of cooked eggs.

EGGs-planation of Family 


Now why eggs? How does food have anything to do with social justice issues?












Think of it this way:
Eggs can be cooked in multiple ways, soft boiled, over boiled, over easy, hard boiled, sunny side up, over hard, over easy and much more. All eggs can be cooked in either way the person prefers. How i saw this was everyone in society is different but accepts all as one group or family. I connected this with all the characters of The Bean Trees. Taylor, Turtle, Esperanza, Mattie, Lou Ann, and Estevan. Six different characters with all different backgrounds are picked out of the same tree and all of them come together as a family (one whole egg).

As I flipped through the book, I came across a picture of hot dogs. There are five hot dogs lined up in a row painted on a canvas showing immense detail on small differences of each individual. Such as, the slight difference in sizes, the dollops of mustard, the markings and shading of the bun.

Wayne Thiebaud, Five Hot Dogs, 1961 Oil Canvas 


Now this picture may seem silly, one may ponder about how hot dogs are so significant. Thiebaud intended to make a twist in pictures of food, traditionally we would see pictures of a bowl of fruit or a vase of flowers, maybe even a baguette if one wished to paint such beauty. Simply these hot dogs reminded him of how he saw America. "Picnic, baseball, beach, campfire, circus, cheap, easy-to-eat, easy-to-cook, American. So hot dogs are cheap and mass-produced; you can afford one even when you're broke. But you usually eat them when you're having a good time." (Greenberg and Jordan, 40). Something so simple and accessible in an American's daily life style can bring happiness and good memories. When I first glanced at the photo I thought it was quite pointless without reading the text. After reading the interpretation, it helped me get a decent foundation on what I see and think of symbolically.


Fishing for acceptance 


 Throughout the whole novel there was only one reference to fishing mentioned...how is that even important?

Fish always get baited by a simple worm and get caught up with the tricks of us sly human beings. But what about humans? What do we fall for? Who baits us? 
Well society does, especially the embodiment of women. This social justice issue was a big role in The Bean Trees. Lou Ann was a big part of wanting to be the perfect house wife, with a great body, cleaning the house, caring for Dwayne Ray and Angel. But what does she get back? Negativity and shame from her ex-husband. She worries and feeds into trying to fit the perfect role of women in the 1980s. The hooks I painted to symbolize society and role models made for commercializing while the fish represent the women who try to loose weight (the hotel owner who is hoping to be a future mother) or fit in the role of what everyone expects. I did my best to use as little colors as I can to show that 'the fish' are all looking to be the same thing, no diversity, all baited into the hook and it makes them so called 'normal' when there should be women of all sizes being accepted, and recognized for all their efforts put in to the family. 


In this painting, I made sure that only two colors (aqua green and dusty blue) would dominate over the whole canvas. I did this because I wanted to emphasize the true meaning of how women are all similar if they followed society's rules. I wanted to mimic the outlined idea of using less colors and similar continuous patterns because, "By limiting his color and repeating the red shapes, Francis manipulates the way we look at the parts of this painting, as well as the way we read it as a whole." (Greenberg and Jordan, 64). After seeing the picture of Sam Francis's Big Red, I got my idea of connecting animals to humans as to how Barbara Kingsolver connected vegetables to people in Turtle's perspective. 

Sam Francis's Big Red 1953 Oil Canvas


Overall, I feel the most difficult part of painting on canvases was using different types of paints. I used oil paint on my egg piece and I found that it was much harder to work with because the drying  process was much longer than acrylic paints. I was inspired by some of the artwork inside the book and found a way to make the interpretation fit with my beliefs. Using the book The Painter's Eye Learning to Look at Contemporary American Art, I was able to understand the use of detail for color choice, symbolism, shapes, and connect them to how I see and interpret the environment around me. I was also able to comprehend the meanings behind the painting. By reading some of the background information of the examples given above, I decided to challenge myself in thinking more critically by trying to connect paintings to what we learned in class, how I see society, my beliefs, and other symbols that I can connect with nature.

Greenberg, Jan, and Sandra Jordan. The Painter's Eye: Learning to Look at Contemporary American Art. New York: Delacorte, 1991. Print.

What other social justice issues did you find important from the Novel "The Bean Trees" that I should express through my future paintings?

If the only clue I gave about my paintings were "The Bean Trees", how would you have interpreted the artwork? 

What did you envision? Leave a comment down below! (:

No comments:

Post a Comment