Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Photography - Keeping Everything In Focus

Keeping Everything In Focus: Gatcum, Chris. The Beginner's Photography Guide, 2nd Edition. New York: DK, 2016. Print.

"When you're presented with a stunning view, it's only natural to want everything in your photograph to be as sharp as it appears to the naked eye." (Gatcum, 56).


There are certain steps one must take to ensure that the picture you take are the sharpest they can be. To ensure that your photo is the best quality it can be, auto-focusing may be the way to go. The book I have helped explain how the amount of light given to a photo can affect how you focus. Where you take the picture from determines what is and is not in focus. Also the amount of time given to a photo, the shutter speed, will affect how clear or hazy a photo turns out. Taking a step back can help fit everything in shot, too. 


In this photo, I was in a situation where it was a very bright and sunny day, with a bit of cloud coverage. I choose to take my picture of the side of the building, facing my back to the harsh glare of the sun. It helped my lighting and I was able to take a nice, clear, focused photo.


What do you think is best for a quality photo - a photo with everything in focus and clear or a photo that is not focused or clear, yet has a narrative?


1 comment:

  1. Hi Mikal! I think you made a great decision with taking a picture with the sun behind you, the lighting is perfect! The lighting draws my eyes to the plants hanging on the side and at the bottom. For the best quality photo, I can see a reason for focused and cleared, and a reason for blurred. However, if you are trying to get more in your picture, then I would say that clear and focused is the way to go because it captures everything for a general meaning or narrative. When it is a smaller item, then blurred would capture a narrative or meaning behind the subject rather than everything in the photo.

    Over all, great job with the clarity of the photo as well!

    ReplyDelete