Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Caloric Overload


TBH cheesecakes are delicious, which is why I chose to do my quarter 2 IRP on making cheesecakes. When I told my mom I was going to be making 5 cheesecakes before the end of January, she told me I couldn't because that just isn't healthy to be eating 5 cheesecakes in a bit more than 2 months. So, we went on amazon and bought a 6 inch spring form pan instead of the regular 9 inch pan, so that I would make a total of 5, half sized cheesecakes. For making cheesecakes, there are many things that go into it, other than just the ingredients.





My quarter 2 IRP book: The Eli's Cheesecake cookbook
    By: Maureen Schulman


Quote #1:
"When she experienced that first cheesecake, she was surprised at how beautiful it was, with it's golden brown caramelized top. 'It had structure, and yet, it was a quivering custard inside,' said Jolene" (Schulman 67). 
Paraphrase: Basically this quote is saying how although tasty, a big factor of what makes cheesecakes so wonderful is their physical beauty (kinda like Dylan O'Brien).

Impact: This made me try to not focus only on the flavor and texture of my cheesecake, but also how it looks when it's done... Which didn't work too well for me oops.



Quote #2:
"The first few years of her work were characterized by trial and error. as Jolene switched from fifty-cake batches to a few hundred at a time, new issues occasionally arose: some of the cakes cracked, collapsed, or exhibited other imperfections" (Schulman 68). 
Paraphrase: This quote shows how although it is important for the cheesecake to look good (shown by the previous evidence piece), it's near impossible to get the perfect cheesecake on your first try.

Impact: This made me want to try harder to make it perfect (that didn't happen lol) to show that you actually can get a perfect cheesecake on your first try.



Original Plain Cheesecake

Recipe:
Why type up the recipe when you can just take a picture?

So I followed the recipe through all the funky baking instructions andddddddddd this is how it turned out:
It might look like I put the cheesecake on the table,
but I didn't, it still has the bottom of the spring form
pan on the bottom.


This time I actually did put the cheesecake on the table
but I made sure it was clean, unlike your mom's
browser history.


Pros:
  • Cheesecake
  • Tasted good
  • Golden brown
  • Aesthetic in natural lighting

Cons:
  • A bit overcooked which made it not as creamy as usual cheesecake
  • My chunky oven mitt made a fat indent in the top of the cheesecake
  • Cracked around the edges
  • The crust tasted like BARF- gross af shortbread

Scroll down for scenery in my back yard!:



























Question:


What's your opinion on cheesecake and what's your favorite flavor?

I 11/10 definitely want to hear from you so comment please 



Schulman, Maureen, Tara Lane, Diana Moles, and Jolene Worthington. The Eli's Cheesecake Cookbook. N.p.: Eli's Cheesecake, 2015. Print.

Post by Kierra Long

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kierra,
    You are a very funny gal. Your cheesecake looks scrumptious and I volunteer to do taste testing. My favorite cheesecake is anything with chocolate in it. Cheesecake is bae. Also, do you have any recommendations on how I can make my cooking look as nice as yours? Do you know of any Italian cheesecakes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jennifer Alexis Sizemore,
      Thank you SO much for replying!!! This really just made my night. Hmmm an Italian cheesecake? I don't know about that... maybe you could make a basic cheesecake and then put something Italian on top like PIZZA! But making it look cute is the hard part. Obviously the easiest way to make it look cute (mostly hot) would be to make it look like Jake Anderson. but Jake's perfection is hard to replicate. Just try your best.
      P.S. if you want perfection, add a hint of s e v y k i n z ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi Kierra,
    I have had cheesecake only a few times (usually in pie form) but it has always been really good. So my favorite would probably be turtle cheesecake from Cyrus O'Leary. Your cheesecake looks so good I wish I could have tried some! I think one recommendation I would make for you is to not tell people that you made an indent in the cheesecake.I personally wouldn't have noticed the dent except that you put it in your cons column.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alyssa,
    Thanks for the idea, turtle cheesecake does sound good! I think I'll make something chocolaty next. Next time I'll also pretend everything went fine and dandy and not mention my mess ups. Thanks so much!
    Festive,
    Kierra

    ReplyDelete