Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Atttacking Soccer- Skills and drills for a high scoring offense

    I know you may think that soccer is an "overplayed" sport. But to a lot of people, soccer is their profession or a sport that helps through tough times. I myself played soccer for 5 years and honestly its a great sport, when you are playing it distracts you from the things that may be on your mind. Whenever you score, it is such a great feeling because you are running the whole time and right when you score, you get a overcome of happiness and relief. If you give soccer a try, believe me you will love it.
 
     When I was walking through Barnes and Noble, I didn't think I was going to buy a soccer book. When I walked into the store, I had my mind on a cooking book. Then I ran into a friend and he said he was buying a cooking book as well. Then it came to me that cooking books are such overused book and maybe I should a sports book. I was going up and down the shelves trying to find a good book and then I ran into this one. It caught my attention not only by the interesting cover but also when I grabbed the book, it gave me flashbacks of so many memories of when I played and it put a huge smile on my face. When it gave me flashbacks, I realized that I wanted to play again and why not get a book that explains good ways to play offense and tells you some great plays.

    The author isn't an inexperienced coach. Jay Miller has served as a national teams coach and coaching instructor of the United States Soccer Federation since 1978. With this information, you know that all the facts in the book are accurate and told by not one experienced man, but 11.

    When you open the book, the first couple of pages tell you where to find everything and specific plays that you maybe want to try out. But most importantly, it introduces what the book is about by stating, "The challenge of offense versus defense continues. As teams develop successful styles of attack, defenses are created and perfected to stop them. This book tackles the task of identifying and honing the skills and tactics necessary for breaking down organized defensive plans" (Miller 15). The author stated this because it shows that even though a team may have the best defensive plan, there is always a way to defeat them. Also that the challenges between offense and defense will continue and whenever a team comes up with a great idea, the other team will always find a way to counter play them.

     The next chapters are individual coaches telling their ways of a specific play or playing style. All the authors had great information and give their personal experiences in the beginning of the chapter. They provide diagrams of the specific play they are trying to explain and they have more than one in each chapter. They give tips on way to keep players in shape and how to deal with the environment, since soccer is played outside.

      The ending is just stopped after the last author gave his thoughts just like the others and there wasn't a huge conclusion like book usually have. The last few pages give information about every author who contributed to the book and why they were so significant to the book.

      From reading this book, I have to say that it is really useful and if you want to succeed and have great plays when you play soccer. I highly suggest this book, you get point of view from various authors and many diagrams dispersed throughout the book to really help a beginner out. If I ever start playing soccer again, I will definitely use this book.

  Q: Do you personally think that soccer is "overplayed"? Have you ever played soccer and do you ever just think back and realize how wonderful it was playing? If not, will you ever try playing soccer?




No comments:

Post a Comment