Wednesday, November 30, 2016

You Have More Habits Than You Think

"What was I supposed to do again?"
Have you ever walked into a room, wondered, "why am I here?" then realize that you meant to do something in a completely different room? Or have you ever gone to look something up on your phone, but instead of googling it, you absentmindedly open your favorite social media app and catch up on what's happening in the world? This is because both of these actions are habits. A habit is a set of actions that have
been repeated often and have become regular. You've turned on your phone and gone straight to checking instagram so many times that the one time you want to google something instead, you automatically and accidentally check instagram. Your brain has good reason to create habits. It reduces the amount of work the brain has to do on a regular basis. According to my book The Power of Habit, "Without habit loops, our brains would shut down, overwhelmed by the minutiae of daily life. People whose basal ganglia, [the area of the brain responsible for the creation and activation of habits,] are damaged by injury or disease often become mentally paralyzed. They have trouble performing basic activities, such as opening a door or deciding what to eat" (Duhigg 21). This shows that habits control many parts of our life, taking over whenever we do something regularly. They can even simplify seemingly complex tasks. For example, the author of Habit highlights a man who suffered damage to the part of his brain that stored short term memories. While this man, Eugene, couldn't remember the day of the week, or the names of his doctors, could take a walk around the block near his house, because it had become a habit to him (Duhigg).

How do Habits work?

A diagram demonstrating the inner workings of a habit in The Power of Habit
A habit has three main components, the cue, the routine, and the reward. The cue prompts the brain to begin the actions of the habit. For example, say you have a habit of eating candy. In this habit, the cue is seeing the bowl of candy sitting on the counter. The routine is the set of actions that take place to complete the habit. In this example, grabbing a piece of candy, ripping open the wrapper, and taking a bite. Yum! This is the reward, the sweet taste in your mouth from eating the candy.

How does this relate to me?

Using this information, I hope to be able to better identify habits in my daily life. This will allow me to be more mindful of my actions and identify bad or unwanted habits. In the future, I hope to modify or eliminate these habits.

Question to ponder

What habits can you think of in your life? Do you think they are beneficial, or would you want to change them if you could?

Works Cited
Duhigg, Charles. The Power of Habit. New York, Random House, 2014.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Johnathan,
    This was really interesting to read because I open up Instagram accidentally hecka. I also have a habit of yelling and making weird noises and gurgling sounds. I do actually think these are beneficial because if I ever got lost, someone could hear me and then find me easily! I wouldn't want to change them if I could because the only place I like getting lost in is IKEA. Do you know what the cue or reward of making weird noises would be? I can't figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Key Kira,
      I'm glad you could identify with my example. About your habit of making weird noises, I doubt your habit would get cued if you get lost (Unless you get lost often). When trying to identify cues and rewards for your habits, think about what happens before and after the habit. For example, I was working at my desk one day, and I had to put something away, but when I got up, I accidentally walked to my backpack as if I was going to get some homework to work on! This is when I realized that I formed a habit, when I get up from my desk, I typically walk to my backpack to get some of my homework. I was able to deduce that I had formed a habit, and that its cue was getting up from my desk. Try thinking about what you do or what happens before and after you make strange noises.
      -J

      Delete
  2. Hey Jonathan!

    I just finished reading your post and I thought that it was really interesting! One habit that I have in my life is reading before I go to sleep. This personally benefits me as an artist, because it keeps my imagination running and sparks new ideas in my brain for future projects! All in all, your post was really good and interesting! Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarah!

      I'm glad you enjoyed my post. Reading before bed sounds like a really good habit to have. This habit probably helps you go to sleep too, because after you read, your brain knows that the next thing to do is to go to bed.

      -Jonathan

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete