Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Basketball: Fast Break




Basketball has always been something that I have enjoyed and playing it brings me happiness. However, There is an area where I can improve in, like offense. I have been basketball for 5 years and I know that creating or perfecting drills is pretty difficult. However, with practice and determination the hardest things can become a breeze.


Now, I have the chance to slowly improve my offense by using the "Zone Offense for men and women basketball" to become a better player and understand everything that has to do with offense.




Fast Breaks

When it comes to playing on offense, creating a fast break can lead to lots of great results. The first option shows the player running down the court to make a "point to post" pass. A fast break occurs when a player steals the ball and is speed fast towards the hoop usually with no defense players near.



This shows Option 1 "point to post" pass
In the book it says "Zone defenses are vulnerable to fast break attacks" and "the emphasis of the primary fast break is to get possession of the ball through defenses plays (deflection, steals, traps, etc.) and push the ball up the floor to gain outnumbered situation (1-on-0, 2-on-1, 3-on-2, 4-on-3, or 5-on-4 scenarios)" (Krause, Harkins 12). While the second option you can pass the ball for 3 pt. shot

Lay Ups


When lay ups come to mind, everyone would probably say its the easiest thing to do in basketball, but if you don't have the proper form or footing you will always miss your layups.

To achieve the right form, one must follow three easy steps.








1. Dribble towards the hoop

2. Stop your dribble and take a step with your right leg













3. Lastly take one more step with the opposite leg and push of with that leg to finish your lay up

7 comments:

  1. Hey Kalid! I liked how for each step, you showed a picture to display each move you made to complete a lay up. I know that lay ups are a basic concept for any basketball player, but making sure you can execute those little things perfectly makes you a better player which is a similar theme to my blog posts as well. It is vital to make sure you can do these little things perfectly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback, and I agree that your post about learning how to play the guitar is similar to basketball in a way of making precise decisions that can help perfect your playing.
      I would love to receive another reply about my question at the end of the blog post to see what is your connection to basketball is.

      Delete
    2. I realize I didn't answer your question. My favorite sport is track & field, as I always enjoyed competing for who's the fastest when I was in elementary school. Once I got into middle school I realize i excelled at the sport in the 400m, 800m, and more of the distance events. However, I still enjoy playing other sports for fun with my friends which includes basketball. Lay ups are something you must know how to do in order to win a simple half court game with your friends so I feel like this blog post would help me even though I don't play basketball competitively. I'll assume that your favorite sport is basketball, so I want to know who's your favorite basketball player?

      Delete
  2. Hi Kalid!
    I found your blog post to be very interesting because I have always been very interested in basketball and play it often just as a hobby. I played basketball myself as a 7 year old for a recreational team just for fun, but then focused on playing soccer because I was far more talented in it. I really liked the fast break section in your blog, you explained and showed it really well! I can relate to your blog posts with mine really good because just like you I can improve my soccer skills on offense and paying more attention to the smallest details to make the biggest differences.

    For basketball, my favorite team in the NBA is the Golden State Warriors. GSW is my favorite team because Steph Curry plays for them and I always find myself copying and learning from the way he plays. Many people know that his layups are very unique and different because he always puts the ball so high off of the backboard and then in the basket. He is one of my top 3 favorite players in the NBA.

    I want to know who your top 3 picks are in the NBA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Amandeep,
      I'm glad that you enjoyed my post. I have played basketball with you before and I know from experience that you are very skilled when it comes creating crafty moves and quick game decision. I hope that soccer brings you joy as basketball brings me. Also, I believe that soccer and basketball both need the same fundamental and determination.

      I like your favorite team Golden state warriors. However, I am a Portland and Laker fan. If I was to pick my 3 favorites team it would be Los Angles Lakers, Portland Trailblazer and New York Knicks.

      Delete
  3. Hey Kalid. I really liked your post because it relates to me as a basketball player and it was just nice to see someone do their blog on basketball. It was nice to show how to do a fastbreak my taking pictures on the certain steps to do. To answer your question my favorite teams are the Charlotte Hornets and the Cavaliers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Abdi for your wonderful comment. It's nice to see more basketball players. I also love watching the Cavaliers or the Hornets play, however my teams are great too. Like the lakers and the trailblazers.

      Delete