Tuesday, November 29, 2016


                                                                          The Perfect Grip



               There are many grips that people can use like the Eastern, Western, Semi Western, etc. The grip that is most commonly used is the continental grip. With this grip it can be used for many different techniques in tennis. In the book “The Top 100 Things That You Can Do to Greatly Improve Your Tennis Game”, by Ace McCloud it talks about the continental grip as well as other techniques. The book says, “[The continental grip] is also perhaps the most multipurpose of all grips as it can be used for a whole range of shots. As well as ground stroke, the Continental grips allows you to play serves, volleys, overheads and slices, as well as reacting quickly to defensive shots.” So in other words this is a very useful grip that can improve your game, since it has so many useful techniques you can use with it.



              For the continental grip I like to think of the handle as a clock, but I will go more into detail of that later on. When you hold the racquet to where the strings are faced horizontally, you will then have the handle faced up at you and you will see 8 sides on the handle. These are referred to as bevels according to Ace McCloud’s book. I apply the idea of a clock based on these bevels. The first bevel is the one facing up at you, however I refer to that as 12 O ‘Clock. There aren’t 12 bevels like a clock, but I believe it is still easier to think of it this way. Anyways, for the grip you need to have your index finger knuckle on the 3rd bevel on the right (2 O ‘Clock). Then you need you thumb knuckle rest on the 1st bevel (12 O ‘Clock). You will notice at first that it may be an uncomfortable position for you, but once you begin to play on a regular basis you will get used to the grip and won’t notice the uncomfortableness and that you automatically form the grip while you play.
After I used this grip, I noticed that it gave me a powerful hit with a strong base and I didn’t have to change the grip I had on my racquet that much compared to other grips. With the continental grip I also noticed how it is very useful for volley’s, which is another technique in tennis, but I won’t go into detail about it in this blog. However, if you have knowledge about or experiences with a volley you would understand how the continental grip is great to use as a blocking motion or act as a “wall”, since the grip is very sturdy and strong. Basically, the continental grip serves multiple purposes in tennis and helps you have a strong and sturdy racquet. Also I prefer this grip over all of the other grips used in tennis for a beginner.
Question: If you have tried any other grips besides the continental grip, which one do you prefer and why do you believe that grip is better than the other grips used?




4 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah!

    I've been playing tennis for quite a few years now and I have to agree with you that continental grip is great for volleys. I have been exposed to a Semi-Western grip before but I found this very unnatural to me since I have always played with continental grip. I have been taught that Semi-Western grip gives you a top spin motion more naturally to swipe up and make the tennis ball spin (just a small hint there for you). I personally would prefer continental because I believe it's super easy to change from multiple positions and grips and still remember to use a strong stance in creating multiple techniques into hitting the ball well. Continental grip is also my go to when I approach all my strokes since i haven't been to advanced with adding any spin.

    Continental grips are also good for half volleys, slicing, and overheads as well!

    Could you possibly explain to me more about the other grips? I have never heard about Eastern grip before and I would like to know more about what type of advantage the grip will give to me while playing in matches.

    Thank you (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allison!

      When I was reading about the different grips in my book I found that the Eastern grip is basically when you have your index knuckle on the third bevel instead of the second one, like you would do with a continental grip.

      I also found that this grip is very versatile, since it is in between the other grips. This creates an advantage of being able to shift between other grips, like backhands and volleys more quickly. The book also mentions how this grip is closely related to playing a forehand shot, so with this grip it also gives you more control on forehand ground strokes. The grip is also recommended for top spins, since it helps you strike through the ball.

      The disadvantages of this grip, which make it less desirable to use compared to the continental grip is that, when you play with the grip you must strike the ball a little higher and further forward. Also the Eastern grip isn't good for those wanting to win consistent games and trying to make your opponent play on the baseline. Since, the strokes are flatter there is a higher risk of the ball hitting the net as well as it makes it harder for the player to return high balls.

      Thank you so much for the advice on my grip for top spins. That is something I really need to work on and seem to suffer the most difficulty in understanding and actually being able to do.

      Delete
  2. Hi Hannah!

    Thank you so much for taking your time to get back to me.

    I will definitely keep this in mind when I play tennis in the spring, hopefully this will end up helping me challenge my abilities and improve on my matches with knowing the differences between continental, eastern, and Semi-Western grip. I'll make sure to try the eastern grip when I practice to truly feel the difference and compare which one will help me more based on the type of player I am.

    Maybe we could both practice together to see how the grips work out!
    Thank you so much again for the advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allison,

    I would love it if we could practice together, since you are really skilled at tennis. It would be great to get some tips on my techniques. Thanks again on the advice you have given me and the great feedback. :)

    ReplyDelete