Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Does Your Shirt Fit Right?


When it comes to fashion, we all have our different styles and opinions, but one common ground I think almost all of us can agree on is that you need to have at least some pieces that fit you right, or at least if your style isn’t hipster or hip-hop star. I chose the book Tim Gunn’s Fashion Bible. In the book on page 34, it talks about how you know if your T-shirt is fitting you. The author was saying that when you look at the shoulders, the seams of your shirt should line up with your shoulders (Gunn and Calhoun 277). When I grabbed T-shirt from my closet and put it on I checked to see is the seams lined up with my shoulders and they did! 

You can see the seam is lining
 up with my shoulders!

But that isn’t all that we have to look for. It also says to “Look at the neckline: Is it too loose or too tight? ... Look at the bust: is the fabric too tight or too loose? [and the last question they ask is] Look at the midriff: is skin showing at your waist? If so, hear me screaming at you to find a longer shirt” (Gunn and Calhoun 34). I noticed that my shirt had met all the requirements for a fitted shirt as you can see in the pictures.

Just like the front view picture you can tell
that the shirt is properly fitted!
You can tell that the shirt's fabric and neckline
aren't too tight or loose and that the fitting is right!




If your style is more on the lazier looking and comfortable side, then another helpful tip that the book offers with T-shirts is “T-shirts with a V-neck or boat neck tend to be more flattering on both women and men...But avoid what I refer to as the V-crewneck-which is basically a high V-neck. To my eye, it’s the least flattering of necklines” (Gunn and Calhoun 35).

What type of T-shirts do you like to wear fitted or unfitted?

Gunn, Tim, and Ada Calhoun. Tim Gunn's Fashion Bible: The Fascinating History of Everything in Your Closet. New York: Gallery, 2012. Print.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Baljot! This is Ava, and I am also posting about fashion. I don't usually wear T-shirts very often, but if I do, I like them to be plain (no words on them), and fashionable. I usually would go for a trendy shirt to go with my looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ava! Thanks for commenting! I also don't wear T-shirts often either. I personally like them to be simple without words too, but they aren't really a part of my style. I usually wear them when I'm having a lazy day! I'd love to hear more from you in my future posts!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete