Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Classical Ballet: Physical Limitations

In the art of Classical Ballet, there are needs that need to be met. There are physical attributes that are highly coveted in the world of Ballet, many of them natural things that you cannot change like height and the length of a limb. There are also technical skills which can be natural to a point, but people work on years to develop. Though physical attributes may decide a lot for a ballerina's career, there are however exceptions. In my past experiences with Ballet, I have never been the top of my class, but I have never been at the bottom of my class, I manage to scrape by with my physical limitations, still trying to develop of course. Many of these said physical traits are needed solely for the purpose of partnering, which is a huge part of Ballet, but I have never needed to do anything with a partner (Pas de Deux, Pas de Trois, etc.) I've always known I don't have ideal body for a male ballerina, but I never knew exactly why or what qualities I did or didn't possess. However, after taking a look at the wonderful and detailed book, Classical Ballet Technique, it gave me a lot of insight, as well as help executing certain movements, and ways to improve.



In the third chapter of part one, it begins on the ideal body of a dancer for both male and female. For male dancers the ideal height range is anywhere between "5 feet 9 inches - 6 feet 2 inches" (Warren 68) and the ideal weight of a male dancer is within the range "135 - 165 pounds" (Warren 68) my own body being 5'8" and 108 pounds, just below the height minimum and well under the desired weight. But, if we backpedal just a couple pages we look at the ideal female dancer's body with the height range of "5 feet 2 inches - 5 feet 8 inches" (Warren 66) and the weight span being "85 - 115 pounds" (Warren 66) which oddly enough, my body meets on the larger end. Of course these body types are mainly due to the large part that male dancers whenever dancing with a female are there to make the female appear beautiful and her movements effortless as he lifts her over his head with one hand.



Moving forward a bit, we begin to look at the variations in feet. A good foot has a medium arch and is demonstrated in the book, and I had never really looked at my point that in depth to see such a lack of an arch in my foot. The book also shows an overly arched foot calling it "beautiful, but can be weak en pointe and prone to rolling." (Warren 70) I have a straight foot which it says "lacks desired arch, but is acceptable if used well." (Warren 70) and that last part really got me thinking, how it says if used well it is acceptable. This relates not only to Ballet but to everyday life, where if you use whatever you have well it is acceptable. It also was a bit of encouragement for my lack of the ideal physique, but if I use my body well enough and with enough precision it is acceptable, not phenomenal and coveted, but acceptable. At the very least I don't have what the book calls an "Unacceptable foot; ankle is unable to stretch fully." (Warren 70)


I am very pleased with what I have gotten out of Classical Ballet Technique as it has helped me understand my body in the art, as well as helping me understand that I can overcome these limitations. Have you ever overcame a physical limitation in a sport/art? Have you ever given up due to a physical limitation? Please let me know! I would love to hear about your experiences, and I am of course certainly open to tips and pointers! Please let me know in the comments.

6 comments:

  1. Emilio, what an interesting post! I completely understand how ballet can demand dancers to display physical traits that simply aren't controllable, like height. I agree with you though, that some other traits can be improved through hard work. A limitation that I had when dancing was of weaker ankles and many other dancers in my class had poor pointes. Have you ever tried stretches specifically for the feet? I would recommend that you research them, because they are very helpful. Like any other part of the body, the foot is made up of muscles that can be strengthened and elongated with repetition. Perhaps some metatarsal stretches could help you arch your pointe just a little bit more. I wish you the best of luck in your dance classes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do stretch my feet quite often, I have tried many different sets and regiments that i have found online to strengthen my feet and improve my arch, I have actually improved my arch in doing so slightly, and my feet not being strong enough has never really been an issue, they just are not very "pretty".

      Delete
  2. Hi Emilio, i loved your post it was very interesting! I also do dance and i know how you feel. Me being 5' 7.5" i have long legs and torso and arms i have the "ballet body type" for females but some limitations i had growing up was my flexibility wasn't up to par with what my teachers expected. Since i had the ballet look they expected me to be flexible with my long legs but i wasn't born naturally flexible but after many years of stretching and practicing i finally am overcoming this limitation.With that being said another thing im still working on is my feet which you may already know, but my feet naturally are high lifted arch but arent super stretchy theyre more strong for turning. So i have been working on making my feet more flexible as well.I hope you continue with your dancing and training and you'll definitely see improvement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kierra. I have been continuing my stretching and will continue to do so! I try to stretch daily, and usually do.

      Delete
  3. Hi Emilio, this was a very interesting post! As a dancer, I can understand the struggles of not being able to change something about your body to fit the dancer ideal. Something that I have struggled with is my height. Being 5'1, I've always been the shortest one, and it has been hard to not have that ideal ballerina body. But I've tried hard to work through it over the years, even though I don't have the longest legs. Its especially hard for me being a Chatelaine, when we do out kick lines and everyone has nice long legs. But working on my flexibility and kick technique has helped me through that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amiah! I understand how height can be an issue, especially being on a team where it may look awkward when you are the shortest one in the number. With a big thing like height in your way you have to fight to be in routines with superb technique and acting, and even then you may not even be put in due to your body just not fitting the dynamic of the placement and formation which can be very frustrating.

      Delete