Friday, December 30, 2016

A lot on her plate: coconut + almond granola



If you read my previous post, it showed and explained how I took the time to read the intro and author notes at the beginning of the book but it now came time to put them into action.
I scouted around the book looking for something easy to try out and settled on what looked the most simple and appealing : coconut and almond granola.

After a quick run to the store, I gathered the ingredients and set up to start cooking.

Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups of oats
3 oz. pumpkin seeds
1/2 g oz. sunflower seeds
1 2/3 cups flaked almonds
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1 1/2 tsp mixed spices (cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg)
4 tbsp. coconut oil
4 tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 cup sultanas

This recipe is very straightforward, so basically all I had to do was mix all the ingredients, and bake the mix in the oven for 10-15 min. The first ingredients I mixed together were the oats, almonds, and shredded coconut.



The next ingredients I mixed together were the pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and spices.


    
 

After incorporating these ingredients, I mixed them all together. After that, I added the 4 tablespoons of coconut oil and maple syrup.



Finally, having all the ingredients completely mixed, I transferred the mix to two parchment paper lined trays and popped them in the oven. After they were in, I set the timer for 15 min.



Halfway through their cooking process, I took them out and tossed/stirred them, making sure they were evenly dispersed before putting them back in the oven to cook for the remainder of the time. Once they were done, and the whole kitchen smelt like maple syrup, I took them out of the oven as they had finally turned golden brown.

   
  
    

All that was left was for me was to add the sultanas to the finished mixture and make myself a bowl of granola cereal, putting the rest away in a sealed jar for future breakfasts to come.


For my first attempt at cooking one of the recipes, it went surprisingly well! But then again, it's not very hard to mix a couple ingredients together and put them in the oven for a little bit. Because of how great this recipe turned out, I look forward the more challenging dishes in the future.

Q: Do you consider yourself to be a very good cook? If yes, what/who do you contribute some of your skills to? If not, why do you think that is and what can you do to change that?









1 comment:

  1. Hi Isabelle,
    Sounds like a great recipe! I make granola all the time with my family. But we don't usually use our granola in cereal. Are there certain type of granola just for cereal use and other types for snacking? If so what makes the granola in cereal specific for cereal?
    I will defiantly be trying this recipe someday.

    ReplyDelete