Monday, December 26, 2016


                                                                           Serving It Up

               In tennis it is very important to master your serve. Or to at least be able to get it over the net. Being able to have a good serve is very crucial in the game of tennis. This is because it is the starting point of the game, as well as it is a point that you can either miss, since you couldn’t get it over the net or win because you fought after having the ball go over the net. This also shows your opponent your game play at the beginning of the game. If you have a very strong serve then you can psych your opponent out, but if you have a weak serve your opponent will think that it can be an easy win for them, so you will have to have great strokes and game play to make up for a weak serve.

               Typically, beginners in tennis will start out with the easy serve known as the “pancake” serve. This is the name of the serve because the racquet is faced outward and flat like a pancake. With this serve it isn’t a strong serve, but it is an easy serve if you are just trying to get the ball over. This is how I started out when playing tennis because I struggled with the stronger serve, which I will discuss later on. The advantages with this serve is basically that it is the easiest serve to learn first and also it is a lot easier to get the ball over the net in the designated square. The disadvantages with the “pancake” serve is that it isn’t a very strong serve and it is an easy return for your opponent, which means you have to work harder when they return it back to you in order to win the point.



Many people use this as their “safety” serve. In tennis you get two tries in order to have your serve successfully go over the net in the correct square before you lose a point. So a “safety” serve is your second try at serving, when you mess up the first time. Usually people won’t try to do their difficult serve again on the second try if they already messed up, so they will use the “pancake” serve as their second try so they know they won’t lose that point. Like I said this serve is usually for beginners that are still working on their serving.

The serve that is more forceful and gives you an advantage is more difficult to learn and it takes a lot of practice to master. When I was learning this serve I heard it being called by two different names. One was a “topspin” serve, which has a grip like a top spin. That is when your index knuckle is in between the first and second bevel. The other name I heard it get called is the “hammer”, since it gives you more power and feels like you are holding a hammer. At first this serve will be very uncomfortable on your wrist, but after a while of practicing you will soon feel a little more comfortable. With this serve it will be harder for your opponent to return the ball, since the serve has a quicker pace and glides over the net barely, which means your opponent needs to get low and lift the ball higher in order to return. This is also an advantage because if they pop the ball up it’s an easier return for you and more forceful.
 
 


Many people have a routine that they typically do before they serve in order to make it successful. What I do, is hit the ball against my racquet to the ground to see if it going diagonal, so I know that it is in the correct grip. After that you can either rock back and forth on your feet or bend your knees. In the book, “The Top 100 Best Things That You Can DO to Greatly Improve Your Tennis Game” it discusses the most common mistake when you bend your knees before a serve. Ace McCloud says, “Common mistake made when players are attempting to improve their serve is to bend their legs too early. The legs must only be bent after the upward motion of the toss is complete, trying to simultaneously bend down and reach up will only be counterproductive.” This means that many players bend their knees as they toss the ball up, which is not god because this will cause your toss to come short and then when you come down on your ball it won’t be forceful nor will it go over the net, due to the fact that the serve wasn’t high enough. Personally, I rock before I serve in order to avoid this mistake typically made. You don’t necessarily need to do either of these things, but it helps you prepare your serve and your mindset.

Another thing that is crucial to a great serve is your toss. With your toss it needs to be high but also within the “strike zone”, which is where you will hit. The ball can’t be tossed way in front of you or you will have to come down on it making the ball not go over the net and losing your first try of serving or the point. Also if you toss it behind you, you will have to reach and pop it, which won’t be a successful serve and will help your opponent win the point. The best place to toss the ball is high in front of you, so you can be slightly on top of the ball enough for it to glide over the net. Getting in the rhythm of the perfect toss also can take a bit of practice, but once you get in the rhythm of it, it will be easier for you. The book also discusses how to give a better toss by releasing “the ball with relaxed fingers, as this will prevent the ball from going off course” (McCloud 28). By having a more relaxed grip will actually help the ball in a way “float” more and get your ball at the perfect height needed.

The next thing to focus on with your serve is the way you come down on the ball with your racquet in order for it to successfully go over the net and go into the designated square. If you have a good throw the way you hit the ball should be easier. The book says, “Do not be tempted to force the racquet through the strike zone with your elbow or wrist….it may damage your arm” (McCloud 29). Basically, when you come in contact with the ball on your serve, don’t try to hit the ball as hard as you can to gain more power. This will only cause less control and can eventually damage your wrist and arm. Ace McCloud suggests that, “By keeping your elbow and wrist relaxed, you allow the serve to be controlled by the major muscles, which increases its reliability” (McCloud 29). Having your body feel more relaxed can actually make your serve more effective and controlled, since your wrist isn’t locked and uncomfortable. Also when hitting the ball, you need a straight arm when coming into contact the ball, so you have a full extension as you hit the ball, which allows more power and stability on your serve. If you follow through with these tips, you will be able to have a more effective and powerful serve against your opponent.

 

 

Question: If you play tennis what is your “routine” when you serve? Like what do you do to prepare your serve?

 

 

McCloud, Ace. The Top 100 Best Things That You Can Do to Greatly Improve Your Tennis Game. San Bernardino: n.p., 2016. Print. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah!

    I think you did a great job explaining tips on how to get a better serve in Tennis by using multiple pictures in between each given paragraph that explains a new concept. The visuals really help and show me what I need to work on to have a correct serving stance.

    I definitely agree with you that the "pancake" or the "hammer" serve is a go to serve for many people who did not make their first serve. I often do this because if I failed to get the ball in the service box, I feel less confident in doing my normal technique thinking I will fail and lose my shot by a double fault.

    The tips you explained in your blog post are very helpful. The mistake you mentioned about people bending their knees too early while serving helped me realize that at times when I serve I make this mistake as well. Looking back to my normal technique and stance of serving, at times I bent my knees down too early thinking that the more strength I have when extending my body and arm will give the energy through the ball to create a powerful serve. But clearly, due to your research my mistake takes away the energy exerted from my body weakens the serve and shortens the distance it can go over the net.

    To answer your question, my routine before I serve is I often breathe to feel relaxed so I won't feel too much pressure and I have this mindset where I believe that I will stay humble to continue how to improve myself as a player with a good attitude. From your post, this helps make serves better because it doesn't lock the wrist, which is why I feel that taking a little more time before serving helps me feel more confident in myself. While taking deep breaths, I bounce the ball with my hand and direct my body parallel to the net to assure my serves will be diagonal when I serve into the service box to make it harder for my opponent to reach when it bounces out of the court. I also rock back and forth when trying to create momentum to bend my knees down before I strike the ball.

    After reading your in depth blog about how to improve your serve, I will definitely practice and try to understand the benefits and what I should avoid while serving and how to be more precise with my positioning while holding my racket.

    Keep up the great work Hannah!

    -Allison (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allison!

    I am very happy that you find my blog post very informational! It makes me feel glad to know someone is actually reading it and I’m helping someone else with the research I have found. When I serve I always feel discouraged of my serve after I miss my first one, which is an issue because then you lose the momentum you had and that will give your opponent an advantage in the game by attacking your vulnerability and weakness.

    I think it’s very interesting how much the routine before a serve can actually effect the serve, like whether it’s helping someone gain momentum, relaxation or for you it helps you gain confidence. When I read your comment on how it gives you confidence I found that very interesting because I never heard of that before and I haven’t thought of it in that way, but I like that positive perspective you have with your routine.

    I really do appreciate you taking the time to read through my post and actually taking tips from it to help you as a tennis player. I think you are already amazing at tennis as it is, but I’m glad to hear that this has been helpful for you.

    Thank you again!

    -Hannah 

    ReplyDelete