Friday, December 23, 2016

Soccer: Learning Your Touch



Soccer has been my biggest passion from about a couple years after I started walking. I really dove into the game as I kept getting older and learned more about it and my desire to be good at it just kept rising. I have played on many teams through my soccer journey and each team had a different look on the game which landed me up in multiple different positions on the field. I was totally fine with that because the knowledge that I got from playing all of those different positions developed me into being such a better all-around player and that experience is a huge factor of the skills I have when I play soccer today. I played goalkeeper for a little over a year, I got moved to center-back as I joined a different club in 2009 and played that for about 3 years, and then I joined my current club, Kent United, and I am a permanent center-midfielder. I really love playing center-mid because it is a combination of attacking and defending and the center-midfielders are most likely the smartest players on the field because the game runs through them as they play through the middle of everything. As a center-mid it is a necessity for you to have a very strong technical game, for example, being able to dribble without looking at the ball so you can have your head up and pick out the strikers attacking goal. Also, the biggest thing for a soccer player, not only a midfielder, but every single player on the field is they should have their touch on the ball mastered. This is very important because soccer is a high-flying game, there are no timeouts its just the first half and the second half so you have to constantly be able to perform during those long span of times. Me being a midfielder, I know how important it is to be able to control the ball with every single part of your body so I decided to pick a soccer book called "Soccer Strategies: The Top 100 Best Ways To Improve Your Soccer Game," by Ace McCloud to blog about and read because I know that touch seems like a very easy thing to master but the easiest things in soccer play the biggest roles. A very well-known midfielder for the Dutch national team, Johan Cruyff, once said, "Soccer is simple, but it is difficult to play simple." The meaning of his words were that soccer is a very simple game because it is played mainly from the basic things but the basics are very hard to perfect. This leads into being able to master your touch because that is one of the most basic things yet many people still struggle a lot with it. 


In the book on page 14 it says “All of the best players tend to have a good touch in soccer. The touch is the feel that you have for the ball as well as how you will be able to control the ball when you first touch it,” (McCloud 14). This shows that how touch is such a basic part of soccer that everyone who dribbles a ball feels, it is still a huge portion on determining if you are a great player or an okay soccer player.


                                                                     THIGH TOUCH




This is what many players that play soccer and don't focus on touch enough get because they don't think about it being such a important factor that influences every single other part of the game and it all starts from the first touch you take on the ball. As you can see, my touch was very wrong here because the ball went such a big distance away from me and I had to chase it down and because of that I was totally unbalanced and the shot that I pulled off after went miles away from the goal. Also, because there were no defenders on me I was able to chase the ball down but in front of the other teams goal there would always be many defenders ready to slam the strikers out of the way. So in a game situation first I would've gotten rammed to the floor by the defenders because of the terrible touch I took and the other team would have a straight counter attack going towards the goal they want to score on in no time which would be very lethal. To prevent those two bad things from happening touch is the first thing that needs to be worked on so that the ball stays in your control and you don't lose it.




This is an example of a good touch taken off of my thigh. This is much improved from the first shot because when the ball came to me I touched it in a place on my thigh that made it land right in front of me and it was a quick shot into the corner of the goal that goalkeepers would have a tough time stopping. As I said before, soccer is a very fast playing game and this shot shows the difference between the speed I was able to put the ball in the net compared to the first shot that took me a very long time to get a shot off and it went way off from goal. This book has really impacted the look I have on touch and how much I value it because I knew it was very important before I read this book but Ace McCloud really put a deeper meaning into it for me and showed me how it was one of the most important things when playing soccer. Also, because of that importance I was determined to work harder on it so I could be a more talented player and that showed by the shot I was able to come out with, after my terrible one in the start. McCloud also gave us helpful tips on how to take a better touch on the ball in his book, for example, watching the ball all the way till it comes to the body part you want to touch it with so you are more focused on it and that leads to a better touch being taken with more control, (McCloud 14). After reading that it paid off because I was able take a nice touch by going off of things like that he described in his book. So, this book has really been a big influence on how I am going to value every single touch I take when I play soccer from now on because I will be a lot more focused and control every touch a lot deeper so every single move after that is better, like McCloud said in the book. 

In the book, a great way McCloud explains touch is he shows the importance of it in every position on the field. On page 13 he talks about midfielders and he says “Midfielders should have the skills to receive a ball, pass the ball and control it with their feet and with their thighs and chest. Midfielders play many roles in soccer, so doing all of these skills well can make success much more likely, (McCloud 13). Clearly, we can see that touch is huge for midfielders and they need to be able to control the ball with most parts of their body and if they can master this they will be way better soccer players. Also, on page 17 McCloud talks about the prominence of touch for defenders, he says “A good wingback is able to dribble effectively past the other team. This allows them to get past without the worry of losing the ball,” (McCloud 17). This is very important for defenders especially wingbacks because they are the ones that are pressured the most by the opposing strikers so every touch of theirs has to be on point so they can dribble quick and find their teammates. Finally, the last position McCloud talks about relating touch to is strikers, on page 18 McCloud informs us about the role of touch on strikers and he talks about how strikers are the ones that need to use the most skills or soccer moves on the field to be creative and fool the defense to score a goal, and in order to do all of those moves every touch has to be mastered with the right weight on it, (McCloud 18). This book is written really well for soccer knowledge and is a very good guide to improve your soccer game like it has been for me. 


EXTRA- CHEST TOUCH

When I practice touch I always work on chest touches because as a midfielder, on goal kicks, the goalkeeper is always looking for his center-mids so it is very important to work on chest touches. This is a good touch taken by me because the ball stayed in my control and I was able to laser a shot into the corner that goalkeepers wouldn't be able to stop.


QUESTION: HAVE YOU EVER TRIED TO JUGGLE A SOCCER BALL? IF YOU HAVE, WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM NUMBER OF JUGGLES YOU HAVE GOTTEN BEFORE IT HIT THE GROUND?


McCloud, Ace. Soccer: Soccer Strategies- The Top 100 Best Ways To Improve Your Soccer Game (Soccer Strategies, Soccer Skills, Soccer Nutrition, Soccer Drills). N.p.: n.p., 2015. Print.

















4 comments:

  1. Hi Amandeep,

    Your blog post is very interesting! Although I am not a soccer player, it's nice to learn about the different touches in soccer. I never knew that simply looking and maintaining eye contact with a ball will improve your focus and control over the ball. With no soccer skills, I have not tried to juggle a ball but if I tried I might last for about 3 seconds!

    As a long-distance runner, I am also focusing on how to improve my basics because I want to become better. I do this by listening to my coaches, watching others and practicing, or from the book I am currently reading. In both of our blog posts, we talk about improving the little things about each of our sports and I completely agree with working hard to achieve what you want. In running and in soccer, positioning and speed is everything. From my own experience, I've learned that depending on who you're running next to and where you're running, you can have an advantage if you position yourself properly. Also, speeding up at the right time and maintaining your mile times is crucial. Both of these aspects are things you touched on in your post and I think you're heading in the right direction! For you, the position of where the ball is and how to handle it is important while staying sharp and rapid to get the ball is needed too. From your own comment on my blog post, you said that you run distance at practices sometimes. I'm curious to know if you like running and if you wish there was less running in soccer? To add on, are you typically in shape to run multiple miles or do you suffer the next day during soccer practice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading my blog Roshni, and the very nice comment! I'm delighted that you liked my blog post and learned some new things from it. Without a doubt, keeping your eye on the ball will improve your touch because the ball comes at you in many different ways in games, with different speeds, different spin, and many other things so you have to be able to adapt to that and that's why it is important to keep your eye on the ball. Juggling a soccer ball is a very challenging task and requires a lot of focus, great touch, and feel for the ball every time it hits a body part because one bad touch and everything goes off.

    I definitely agree that both of our blog posts had the same main focus of improving your basics and really going deep into them so we can become better at our sports. Running and soccer can be very similar in many ways because running always has been and will be a major part of soccer. A example to show this is, when you go tryout to be part of a soccer team in college, mostly every single college will have a fitness test before even looking at your soccer skills at all and that test determines whether the college will let you show them your soccer abilities. If you don't pass the fitness test then all of your soccer skills don't get looked at and you can't make the team. This means that soccer and running and being fit all go together and without running there is no soccer either.

    I very honestly do enjoy running because I just feel good when I go out and run on my own in my free time. One of the things I love about soccer is the fitness level has to be very high to fight against high competition because it is a non-stop game basically and so even if you want to stop and walk you really can't and just have to keep pushing yourself. I believe that in soccer any amount of running is perfect because in games nobody feels how much they are running with the adrenaline pumping, the competition is what players think more about so its totally fine. Usually, we don't run a big number of miles everyday because that would just be too much on our legs with the soccer practice and that would lead to many injuries. I have suffered one from the last four months and that came from just overdoing everything too much and not giving my body enough time to rest, it sucks to sit out. However, sometimes when we don't play games on the weekends, then we do run quite a few miles and then practice after which isn't too bad when we are all doing it as a team because we all push each other but the next day it's very hard to get out of bed from the sore legs, but that's the most exciting part of being involved in a sport.

    I wish that you continue doing well with running and keep getting better, and maybe someday we can go run together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amandeep
    I really enjoy your blog post. It's very clear to see the method of touch with how you contrasted your videos from bad to good. It gives me a clear example of how you would accurately approach these techniques. With most of my blogs, I used videos as well to show my approach to guitar. I felt it was the most effective because like I don't understand all about soccer, you wouldn't with me about guitar. However, if you watch videos it would be easier to understand.
    Seeing how passionate you are about soccer, I was wondering what sport/hobby do you think you would attempt if you didn't focus on soccer. Would you try a different sport, try music? I play guitar, but in the realm of athletics I focus on track as well. I'd like to know your take on my question, keep up your work in soccer!
    -Icevar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Icevar,
      Thanks for taking the time to read my blog post. I'm glad you liked the technique I used to portray what I learned from reading my book. I have seen your blog posts as well and just like in mine the videos definitely did work the best for the both of us.
      If I didn't focus on soccer, the next sport I would really get deep into would be basketball because I am a fan of basketball and I follow it a lot too. I would try music but most likely not get anywhere with it because music doesn't interest me nearly as much as sports do. An instrument I would play is the xylophone because I have had a lot of fun experiences with it and I love the sounds that you can make from it the most out of any instrument. Thanks again for reading and commenting on my blog and I hope you keep having success in playing guitar and track!

      Delete