Friday, December 23, 2016

Henna 101

Hey guys! So this blog post I decided to do a more complicated design but this time on my sister. It filled up her hand a little more. 

So this design is basically made of swirls and curvy lines. It was a little harder to make straighter lines on another person. In the book on page 32 it says, “Inconsistent lines will result in a tattoo with lines that are not sharply defined, which will make the tattoo look a bit sloppy” (Abdoyan 2012). This design was more difficult for me to do because applying henna on another individual is more difficult than applying it on yourself. It took a little longer for me to do since I didn’t want to smear the henna while applying it. My hands ached because of the more variety in shapes that I used and didn’t have much experience in doing such a design. 

The design isn’t as complicated as it seemed in one of the pages in the book. At first when I started at the bottom of the design it was harder for me to make straight lines the way I wanted them to look. But, as I made my way to finishing the design and getting to the top, it started getting more clear and easier to depict the design. My lines started getting straighter and I got used to using the cone a little more which helped making the design the way I wanted it to look.

You apply henna on your hand as if you were icing a cake. You hold the cone like you would hold the pastry bag and draw to the best of your ability. The henna flows out of the cone depending on how much pressure you put on it. If you make a mistake you quickly take it off however it will stain even after a few seconds so you have to be careful. 

This picture shows the henna design a few minutes after applying it.

This picture shows the design after removing it. As you can see, the henna is a light orange.
This picture shows the henna design the day after removing it. The stain turns into a darker orange. 
What kinds of designs or images do you think would look nice on a hand?


Abdoyan, Brenda. Teach Yourself Henna Tattoo: Making Mehndi Art with Easy-to-follow Instructions, Patterns, and Projects. East Petersburg, PA: Design Originals, 2012. Print.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Simran!
    This design that you did on your sister looks gorgeous! I love the detail and care you put into making it, and it really shows on the last picture that you clearly took your time and were really into doing it well.

    I have had a lot of experience with henna because it is a big part of Indian culture and one of many places henna is used is weddings. In weddings henna being put on the bride is a ceremony in mostly all weddings and it symbolizes beautification. I myself have never really gone into doing henna on anybody else but I have been around my mom doing it a lot for people during weddings and seen it on her hands quite a bit as well that's why I know a decent amount about it.

    I feel that some sort of design that is on only two fingers and goes across the hand would look cool and nice if it is done well. I like that idea because it isn't too complicated and doesn't take up your whole hand but would look really cool with designs going across it.

    How long have you been interested in applying henna? What made you most interested in learning about henna?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amandeep!
    Thank you for all the compliments on the design. Yes, it does take a long time for the design to officially became the way it was made to be. However, at the end, all the time and work put into the henna design was worth it.

    Yes, I will think about doing such a design because it seems like a wonderful idea and would look very nice on the hand also. For my next blog post, I was actually thinking about doing a design on the palm of my hand instead of on the back of my hand for another challenge!

    It has been a few years since I have been interested in applying henna after seeing it applied on the many weddings I have been to. What made me most interested in learning about henna would be my cousins who taught me the basics and provided me of the materials.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OY SIMRAN!

    How yah doin' my girl? This blog is so tubular man!! Everything is neat and organized making it super easy for a reader like me to.... well read! Your tips and similes for different scenarios are extremely helpful. Like how henna is almost like icing a cake. Even though doing so isn't a piece of cake lol.

    I love how you put photos of the stages of the henna process. It shows accurate representations of what readers should expect if they did henna.

    To answer your question, I've always though that intricate flowers look really pretty and I love the swirls that reach to the base of your nail.

    How long did it take you to complete the entire henna process? And how long does it take to dry?

    You've honestly done a great job with your blog and I can't wait to see what else you might have on here!


    Until next time,

    Toodleloos <3

    -Loan T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Loan!

      Thank you for all the compliments, it really means a lot to me. First, to answer your questions, it takes about three hours to complete the henna process. About an hour or two on actually filling up your hand and about another hour waiting for the henna to dry. After this the henna will stain on your hand for about a week and then wear off. I will consider your suggestions for next time!

      Thank you so much! :)

      Delete