Saturday, December 31, 2016

Drawing: Mindset

In my last post, I talked about how seeing an object as reference can increase the level of detail on a drawing immensely compared to just going by memory. Well, there are countless of other factors that contribute to the end result of the drawing, such as physical factors which includes things like posture, the way the pencil is held, and environment. The factors that I'm going to be talking about today is about the mindset of an artist and how the internal dialog of each mindset can influence the way an artist think and draw. There are going to be two types of dialog that I will be talking about today, critical and practical dialog.

To clarify, when I'm talking about Dialog, I'm talking about the internal dialog that we all have when we speak with ourselves.

Critical Dialogue:

The best way to describe critical dialogue is that it's more of a negative or pessimistic mindset. You say phrases like: "I can never draw the nose correctly.", "This finger doesn't look right.", and "That doesn't look like a triangle". As said by Dodson: "This dialogue will either help or hinder your ability to draw, depending on which of two basic types it is" (Dodson 10). Using critical dialogue hinders a person's ability to draw since it doesn't allow the artist's mind to grow and improve, but instead it uses the current skill of the artist and leaves no room for improving. Being critical of oneself while drawing doesn't question the artist of ways they can improve, like in practical dialogue which makes it difficult for a artist with this mindset to improve at drawing. It gives a person a closed mindset which doesn't allow in new information to change the way that they're drawing.

Practical Dialogue:

Practical dialog is more on the line of questioning yourself on what ways you can improve on a drawing. Common phases that you say are: "What should this shape look like?", "How hard should I shade this area?", "How should i contour this?". As stated by Dodson "Your drawing skills will improve dramatically if you speak to yourself in practical dialog" (Dodson 11). Talking to yourself with practical dialogue is one of the best ways to improve at anything in general and that also include drawing. It allows the artist to have a very open mindset which allows them to really decide what they want to do with the drawing. And it allows for improvements in all areas of drawing since you're constantly questioning yourself if you're making the right decisions with your drawing. Even having something as small as a change in dialogue will enable a open mindset for an artist to hone their skill in drawing.
This was a drawing of a hand I drew while using practical dialogue.

Question: How can you apply practical dialogue to your improve at a skill?

Source: Dodson, Bert. Cincinnati: F&W, 1990. Print.




6 comments:

  1. Hi Huy!!
    From my experience I have found that I use both critical and practical dialogue while drawing. I will usually tell myself "This nose doesn't look right," from a critical view. Then I redraw it and keep practicing till I get it right. But sometimes I will think in practical dialogue and ask myself "What can I do in order to improve my skill". So I personally use both methods of thinking, but I know this doesn't work for everyone. All in all this was a great blog post! I love how it promotes positive thinking! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah!
      I can totally relate to what you're saying about practical dialogue where you would continuously erase and redraw until it's just perfect. I experiences the same thing where I would be like "this arm looks funny." and i would spend years just redrawing it until it fits perfection. Thank you for your reply and input on these two forms of dialogue!

      Delete
  2. Hey Huy!
    I can definitely say that when I draw it's very easy for me to use critical dialogue. I feel that it helps me be able to start some of my drawings over and try them from a different viewpoint in order to get them the way I want them to look. However ,I do see how it can become quite a hindrance to an artist's growth. So, when applying practical dialogue I can tell think of how things when I draw are supposed to be shaped, and focus on what should be improved. This was a very enlightening concept that I'm glad you shared in your blog post! You draw very well and I wish you good luck on your future artwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tolu!
      I'm glad that you're able to get something out of my blog post! I can understand how frustrating it must be to be unable to figure out what's wrong with your drawing and constantly critiquing yourself but never about to satisfies your self-critique. Practical dialogue is good skill to learn for basically anything and really improve on the way you perceived things.

      Delete
  3. Now that I have gotten into drawing, I never realized how many factors contribute to the quality of an art piece, I hadn't even realized that my own mentality affected by ability to draw subconsciously. Certainly, I use critical dialogue a lot more than practical dialogue. I think using practical dialogue can be beneficial in thinking about your art realistically and in your confidence. Instead of giving up on for example, hands, and drawing blobs, practical thinking can help achieve your desired outcome. Practical dialogue can also give you a confidence and skill boost because it gives one a piece of mind that it is possible to create that art piece. Great post Huy, you gave a really clear understanding of practical and critical dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Channy!
      I'm glad that you're able to look through the lens of practical dialogue and enlightened yourself to view things with a different mindset. For me personally, mentality plays a large role into whatever I do honestly, since obviously if I'm like in a bad mood I'm going to preform considerably worst than average. Using practical dialogue really helps me problem solve and in general creates a more positive atmosphere. Thank you for your reply and feedback on this matter.

      Delete