Saturday, December 31, 2016

Drawing: Light

Drawing has always been something that has fascinated me and I enjoy it very much. It has all kinds of aspects to it that make it very interesting; shading, lighting, posture, positioning, etc. In the first blog post, I will be focusing on the affects that light has on drawing.





I did this drawing after I read a little more about how lighting works and how it affects the picture from my book. I started off with the shape of the eye and then started adding on details, such as the eyelashes and the pupil. I made some areas of the eye dark and some lighter to emphasize where the light was coming from, in this case it was from the left.

Light also creates a shade when in contact with an object. And this shade helps "make the object solid - to show those parts which advance and those which retire" (Harding 54). This is saying that this shade created from the light gives the object volume and exhibits the space that an object occupies. In my drawing, for instance, the light gives the eye tone and creates some shade under the eye, which gives us the perception that it is taking up space.

Light also adds more depth to drawings, making the illustration look more realistic. the author states that it "brings the drawing to life" (Harding 56). What this means is that it gives the drawing a sense of tangibility, like it is "alive". As seen in this drawing, the highlight above the iris makes the eye look more "complete" and thorough, which gives it more depth and brilliance. Without light, the eye, or any other drawing, would look bland and non realistic. Incorporating light helps take your drawing to the next level and helps create a more developed illustration. 

Question: Do you enjoy drawing, if so, what sort of drawings do you like to do (realistic, cartoons, portraits, etc.)?

Harding, James Duffield. Harding's Lessons on Drawing: A Classic Approach. Mineola, NY: Dover Publications, 2007. Print.





7 comments:

  1. Your article was detailed very nicely. I love your drawing, it looks realistic and looks like it took a very long time to accomplish. I like how you incorporated quotes from some artists. I personally can't draw that well but when I do draw, I draw mostly stick figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I greatly appreciate your comment on my blog. It didn't take as long as you might think, but I worked hard on it and I am delighted that you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rashid!
    I personally love drawing realistic and semi-realistic drawings! But I totally agree that the light and shading of a drawing really determines its quality, as well as giving it 'life'. One tip that I have that will make your drawing even more amazing is blending. Which is another important factor for making a drawing look 'complete'. If you don't have blending stumps, then I would suggest using a tissue/paper towel, or a Q-Tip, they work just as well! I hope this tip helps you out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip, I'll keep in mind what you have said next time I draw something to make it more realistic. I'm not that serious about drawing, but I do enjoy it very much, so I don't get into too much detail when drawing, I just like to have fun while doing it. But, I do greatly appreciate your tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rashid!
    Your drawing looks really great and life like, especially with the way you drew the catch light in the eye! I also admire realistic drawings and find they are the best types of drawings to create. I am curious though of what type of pencils or other tools you use when you draw or if you simply use a regular pencil, because they can make a real difference in your final product. Keep up the great artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tolu!
    I appreciate that you liked my drawing. I find that realistic drawing are not necessarily the best type of drawings, but the most satisfying to create, in my opinion. I usually use a mechanical pencil or prismacolor pencils to create my drawings, which I think is substantial enough to produce a decent drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Rashid!
    Your post was really informational and an interesting read; I never knew that lighting played such as crucial part into creating a realistic drawing. Personally for me, I am a fan of drawing cartoons, since the majorities of my drawings are based off of fictional cartoon characters. Personally for me, I have a lot of trouble drawing realistic images since, my mind just can't comprehend every bit of detail you have to capture while drawing realistic. Overall, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete