Saturday, December 31, 2016

Decluttering and Organizing: Pt. 2: Organization


Pt. 2: Organization

I for one am terrible when it comes to keeping my things organized. So I decided to read The Life-Changing Magic of  Tidying Up, by Marie Kondō, in hopes of learning better organization and an overall put together life. The whole book focuses on ways to de-clutter and organize your belongings. It is filled with helpful tips and tricks to help you get rid of everything you don't need!

 Image result for the life-changing magic of tidying up    

Step 1:

“Keep only those things that speak to your heart. Then take the plunge and discard all the rest. By doing this, you can reset your life and embark on a new lifestyle” (Kondō). While reading, this quote really stuck out to me and helped me a lot while cleaning. A lot of the stuff in my room can be dated back to when I was in 3rd grade, and I honestly have no idea why I have kept these things until now. By keeping this quote in mind, it made it a lot easier to get rid of the things that were just taking up space in my room.

Step 2:

“the best way to choose what to keep and what to throw away is to take each item in one’s hand and ask: “Does this spark joy?” If it does, keep it. If not, dispose of it. This is not only the simplest but also the most accurate yardstick by which to judge" (Kondō). This quote and the quote from step 1 go together hand in hand. As i was organizing my things, mainly my art and clothing, I kept this quote in mind. While going through my art I would ask myself if I was truly proud of the work I've created and how it would benefit my (art) portfolio. If I wasn't proud of it, I would toss it, and if I thought it was portfolio worthy, I would keep it. 

I drew this in 3rd grade, and I have no idea why I kept it.
This is an example of something I would toss.
This is my first ever realistic drawing.
I decided to keep it to compare how much I have improved since 6th grade.



  
This is a portrait I did last school year.
I decided to keep it to compare how much better I 
get over the remainder of my high school career.
What are your tips and tricks for better organization? Have you ever forgotten why you've kept something? 😜





















2 comments:

  1. Hi, Sarah! I really enjoyed seeing how you were able to organize the things you kept from 3rd grade! I did this a lot during break and I was thinking and feeling the same thing as you were when you were sorting out your 3rd grade items! A tip I usually use is asking myself if I need an object. For example, if I find a math notebook with notes in it from 5th grade, I ask myself if I will need to use it as a reference for my current and future math classes. Did you encounter this kind of situation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting on my post! And yes I did encounter that a lot. I had so many note books and papers from elementary and middle school that I have no idea why I kept them! I will definitely use your tip as I continue cleaning! Thank You!

      Delete