Friday, December 23, 2016

The apple (cobbler) of my eye!

 French Apple cobbler

Hello, my name is Alyssa and I would like to start off saying that I have chose to improve on baking specifically on dessert dishes mostly because I have seen my family make countless things and had the urge to learn myself. So I thought what better to start out with then a classic french apple cobbler! This is a dessert my grandmother has made many times and one I have personally always enjoyed myself .

Now, the recipe from my book I have selected calls for the following :
- Filling: 

  • 5 cups peeled, sliced tart apples 
  • 3/4 cups sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 Teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon soft butter or margarine 
Batter: 
  • 1/2 cup sifted all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons soft butter or margarine
  • 1 egg slightly beaten
-light or whipped cream (optional for serving but also delicious! )


So using the recipe I gathered all the ingredients listed and began to follow the instructions. In the book it says,
" Prepare the tart apples by peeling the skin off the apples then proceed to slice 5 cups as directed" (Meredith).
This is where I came to my first challenge I underestimated how lengthy it would be to complete the peeling and cutting of all those apples!

But luckily we had an apple slicer and a peeler so this made the process easier on me. Here are some pictures of my progress:
Displaying 20161203_154450.jpg
Apples peeled and ready to be sliced.(Note Beware of pesky hand cramps!)

Displaying 20161203_154444.jpg
Slicing the apples with a handy apple slicer!
Displaying 20161203_154446.jpg
softening the apples

After that lovely hand torture I got to work with dry ingredients and make the batter. Then after that I mixed in the cinnamon, sugar, vanilla, and more with the apples to get them ready to bake! 
 Here are some pictures of these steps:

Displaying 20161203_161149.jpg
 Mixing cinnamon, sugar, & vanilla

Displaying 20161203_155621.jpg
Dry ingredients to make the cobbler batter!


Once the apples and batter had been fully prepped as well as the oven and put in a heat safe pan it was finally all set to bake!
Displaying 20161203_163038.jpg
In the oven!



 The book to paraphrase said to check close to the timer end and take the cobbler out when the top layer was golden. So I tried my best and with my better judgement I should have baked it for a bit longer but here is the turn out:

Displaying 20161203_170413.jpg
Final product fresh out of the oven!


In the end I learned that baking is an extensive process but if you follow the instructions and use what you have you can accomplish something you might not have been able to before. I in turn was very proud of this outcome and was happy to share this victory with my family. I got to try it for myself and was pleased as well as getting various compliments even from my grandma who inspired this dessert!

So after seeing what impacted my dish i want to pose the following question: What Influences or has influenced your style of baking?

I would love to hear your thoughts so I welcome you to share and thanks for taking time to view my post!

Citation: Corperation, Meredith. New Cookbook. Des Moines, IA: Better Homes and Gardens, 2002. Print.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Alyssa,
    To answer your question I would say what has influenced me wanting to bake and how I bake would be my aunts. One of my aunts in particular does a lot of baking and she does really cool designs on her cupcakes or cakes and they always taste amazing! I don't know why or if you could fix this but I can't see any of the pictures you included with your post. The way you talked about the apple cobbler you made makes me wish I could have tried some because I'm sure it was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alyssa! I appreciate your insight on what influences your baking, your aunts cupcakes sound delicious! Also, thank you for your feedback I will see what I can do about the pictures as they show up for me and if you want I'll save you a slice of my next baking extravaganza!

      Delete