Saturday, December 31, 2016

Red Velvet Cupcakes

This break I had some time to bake, and so I decided I was going to make myself some birthday cupcakes! So, I started flipping through my book looking for a recipe that I wanted to make and share with my friends.

While I was making these red velvet cupcakes, I discovered that sometimes you need more than one mixing bowl ready. I had to hand wash my mixing bowl and several other items while the cupcakes baked in the oven so that I could start making my cream cheese frosting. I also learned that sometimes it's better to have leftover batter, because I accidentally filled a few of my cupcakes too full and they overflowed a little in the oven while baking. I'm glad that my mom has always told me to put muffins, cookies, cupcakes, etc. in for 1-2 minutes less than what the directions say. When I put these cupcakes into the oven the book says "Bake the cupcakes until they spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 16-20 minutes." (Byrn) but because I listened to my mom I put them in for 15 minutes instead and they came out perfectly done with just 15 minutes.

My cupcakes all frosted and done
I followed the original recipe exactly, not substituting or changing anything like I did with my blueberry banana muffins. The only thing I did differently from the book was that I didn't put a chocolate bow on top because I ran out of time. I was really impressed with how good and moist these cupcakes were. If I did this again I would like to try putting the chocolate bows on top of the cupcakes. I think that the cupcakes looked nice without the bows, but it would make them look more ready for the holidays and different from regular cupcakes. The book also suggested "If you don't want to pipe out 24 bows, you can easily pipe out Christmas trees, Stars of David, or other holiday symbols...You can also keep the frosting white and sprinkle it with some white sugar sprinkles to give it a snowy effect" (Byrn). I think these are cool suggestions that I would try next time I make these cupcakes.

My question to you is: what decoration would you put on cupcakes to make them look holiday ready?


Byrn, Anne. Cupcakes from the Cake Mix Doctor. New York, Workman Pub., 2005.  

5 comments:

  1. Hi Alyssa!
    WOW these look really yummy, I totally wish I could have tried one ;). They are pretty too. I. Want. To. Eat. Them. If I were to decorate cupcakes for the holidays I would draw Christmas trees on top of them with my finger. I'd also put lost of candy canes on them and make the frosting green, to be FESTIVE! Then they would almost be holiday ready. The last step would be to spray gingerbread perfume on them so they smell extra special. And that is how I would make the cupcakes holiday ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kierra!
    First I would like to thank you for commenting on my post. I think your suggestion of Christmas trees sounds cool except that I can't draw an good tree so not sure how that would turn out. Putting green frosting on is definitely something I could try. With these cupcakes in particular I think the green frosting would look really good because Christmas colors are green and red and the cake is red, so they would be super FESTIVE like you said! With the gingerbread perfume thing I think I wonder if companies make scent things to spray on your food because that would fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alyssa, these cupcakes look delicious and they are beautifully frosted. You did a fantastic job, bow or no bow! If I were to add more decoration to these for the holidays, I would use gingerbread-men or Christmas tree shaped sprinkles, plus a drizzle of chocolate ganache. I think using festive sprinkles is often a better decorating alternative than piping shapes. When I've tried piping out pictures on my own cookies and cupcakes, the pictures end up looking slightly different. I prefer a more uniform look, and the difference in sprinkle placement is rarely noticeable. Also, I would use chocolate ganache instead of piping on more frosting because it'd serve as both decoration and extra flavor. I'm excited to see more of your cupcakes and muffins! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily,
      Your suggestion of sprinkles or gingerbread men/trees is definitely something I will have to try. I haven't tried piping decorations on before. Piping does seem like it would be hard to do a decoration and have it stay on. I am glad you commented because you gave me so many new ideas! I also want to thank you for the encouragement!

      Delete
  4. Alyssa, The cupcakes look great! My mom also told me whenever I'm baking to put them in for less time then the directions say to. It helps because you'll never overdue them. You can always put them in for more time but you can never take back burnt cupcakes. I would say my favorite holiday topping would have to be anything peppermint. I love peppermint so its perfect for me. But I have a question for you. What is your favorite type of cupcake?

    ReplyDelete