Saturday, December 31, 2016

Skirt Styles

Most of us girls have all worn skirts in our lives at some point, but did you know that there are actually many different styles of skirts? In Tim Gunn's Book Tim Gunn's Fashion Bible he brings up many different styles of skirts, but I will only be talking about a few!

This year midi's came into fashion, through dresses, and skirts, and I joined in on this trend and bought a few, according to Gunn midi's are back in fashion, but they usually hit the leg at the widest part of the calf, which is an unflattering place (Gunn and Calhoun 104). The midi skirt that I am wearing below also hits around the wider part of my calf's but doesn't look unflattering because of the way it was worn, and the stripes that were running down the skirt also played a role in making it look more flattering. Both the print and way the skirt was styled have an effect on how the skirt looks when it is on you. Although not many women wear midi's I think that they were a success in today's fashion because I saw them quite frequently.


Another style of skirts that are very popular are the maxi skirts. Gunn believes that "Maxis are also on trend, but they can be dowdy" (Gunn and Calhoun 104). I disagree with Gunn to a certain point because it all depends on how you style and wear the skirt. Some maxi skirts can look like they are wearing you, so when you go to try them on make sure that your wearing the skirt so that your outfit will look appealing on you. The downfall of the maxi skirt is that it can easily take away from your figure and look unappealing. Although maxi's have a downfall, the good part is that when they are styles properly they can be worn to many different events, and make you look great as shown in the picture below. Maxi's can be tricky because since they are comfortable and loose, sometimes people forget to pay attention to if they look as good as they feel.

This maxi skirt is ill-fitted causing it to look
unflattering and taking away from her figure.
This maxi skirt is more fitted making it look
more flattering. Also the way she styled the skirt helped make it look more appealing to the eye.
The last skirt style that I'll be talking about on this post is the mini skirt. This year the mini skirt was a big hit in the fall. Many people were wearing the brown suede mini skirt with black tights under. I also have this skirt and I paired it with the black tights under it along with a white flowy blouse and a red choker, similar to the pictures below. In Gunn's book he says that "Short skirts can look becoming, especially with tights, and especially if you have a non-scandalous top as a counterpoint. But there is a limit to how short you can go. Ideally, you should be able to sit down without the mini-skirt riding all the way up" (Gunn and Calhoun 102). I agree with Gunn's point that the skirt shouldn't ride up all the way when your sitting, because then your mini skirt is a little too short. Also, in Gunn's book he says that the mini skirt should go down to the middle of your thigh. 


Overall, there are many different skirt styles that you can choose from to best fit your style!
What skirt style is your favorite and why?

Gunn, Tim, and Ada Calhoun.Tim Gunn's Fashion Bible: The Fascinating History of Everything in Your Closet. New York: Gallery, 2012. Print.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Baljot! Out of these three, I can't decide between the mid-length skirt and the mini. I love mid-length skirts for the summer and spring, paired with a cute top and maybe a jacket. But for the winter I love seeing looks with the mini skirt, leather or suede is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ava! I agree with you. I think that leather and suede skirts look great towards the end of fall and throughout winter, I feel like it gives a crisp feeling/look. For the spring and summer I like the midi skirts because they have a flow and are airy which is nice when the weather gets warmer. Hope to see your comments on my next blog!

      Delete
  2. I really liked your last outfit! I love cute mini skirts paired with over the knee boots in the winter! I agree with the statement that midi skirts can look unflattering but it depends on the way you wear them and the type of fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diana! Thanks for commenting. I think that mini skirts and boots play out well too, especially in the winter even though it's colder. I hope to see more of your comments in my future posts!

    ReplyDelete