Thursday, January 25, 2018

Basketball Jump Shots

Jump Shot Tips

"A player takes a jump shot or jumper, by leaping in the air and releasing the shot at the highest point" stated by Forest G Campbell and Fred Ramen in An Insiders Guide to Basketball. The jump shot is more difficult to perfect than the lay up and requires a lot more practice. I know they're effective because in the book the authors mention that "Jump shots are effective because they can be released quickly, and when they are taking while running, they are very hard to block". The combination of the quickness of releases in basketball and the speed one is running are all ingredients to a very hard shot to block. Most players to take jump shots take them when you have enough space and time to rise and release without getting blocked. Some of the basics that I always remember when taking a jump shot are
  1. I make sure that my feet are tilted a little bit to the left (not squared to the basket) and my stance gives me the most balance possible at the beginning of the shot.
  2. I look at the front of the rim (some coaches teach players to look at the front of the rim of the back of the rim) so that I know what I am aiming at. Also making sure that the space between my hand and the ball can allow two fingers to fit snug between my palm and the ball. 
  3. I make sure that my elbow is bent close to a 90 degree angle.
  4. When I release the shot, I follow through by keeping my hand up in the air which ensures at the end of the release that my hand guide the ball straight to the basket.
These are the basics to a jump shot but some things that I learned that worked the best for me are 
  • I make sure that the last thing that touches the ball when I release is my middle finger because any other finger will through the ball off to the side.
  • Most of the power from the shot comes from my legs and not my arms.
  • I put some arc into the ball and shot up and not towards the hoop.
  • When somebody passes me the ball, I make sure to lock my eyes onto the hoop and then once I feel the ball in my hands, I pull the trigger. This works especially good for me because the longer you look at something, the more likely you will hit it with accuracy. 
  • I shoot in one motion not two. 
Most old school coaches say to release the shot at the highest point of your jump, but I like to jump and release the ball on my way up to the peak of my jump. Some players who shoot with two motions are players like Kobe Bryant. Players who release the ball on their way up (one motion) are Kevin Durant and Stephen Curry. (I do not like Golden State Warriors but I do respect them for what they are capable of on the court).

Campbell, Forest G. An Insider's Guide to Basketball. Rosen Publishing's Rosen Central, 2015.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jericho. I dont like the warriors either! I like how you explained each step of taking a shot thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sean. These are some things that work for me specifically when shooting so some things might not work for many people. Do any of these tips work for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jerico!
    Does the type of jump shot effect the shooting percentage?

    ReplyDelete