Sunday, January 21, 2018

Plant Based Recipes: Coconut Whipped Cream

We all know that whipped cream is delicious, but is there an option for vegans? actually there is! There are various different recipes for vegan whipped cream, but the recipe i chose today is coconut whipped cream from the "oh she glows everyday" cookbook. This recipe is sweet and creamy just like regular whipped cream, but also has a delicious coconut flavor. The recipe and ingredients are very simple, and can be made in just 5 minuets!

The very first step is to chill the coconut milk in the fridge for at least 24 hours. Last time i made a recipe where it said to chill the coconut milk for 24 hours, i only chilled it for 30 minuets, and it did not work out, so this time i made sure to follow the instructions. Next, you open the can and separate the cream from the milk. The only part used in the recipe is the cream, however you can use the milk in a different recipe. Finally you whip together the coconut cream, sugar, and vanilla, until stiff peaks form.

Personally, this recipe didn't work out for me. I believe this is because the cream was very cold and was rock hard, so when i went to whip it, it just crumbled into many little pieces. I think that if i left it out on the counter to warm up a little it would have worked. The cookbook also says "Some brands of canned coconut milk are better than others for making whipped cream, and some cans of the same brand may even vary quite a bit." (Liddon, 275). The book suggests that there may be possible "duds" and to not be discouraged by it. I will definitely be willing to try out this recipe again, and make it the correct way! The overall flavor of the whipped cream was actually very delicious even though it did not turn out to be the right consistency.

Is this something that you would be willing to try out, whether you are vegan, lactose intolerant, or just curious?

Liddon, Angela. Oh She Glows Every Day. Avery, 2016.  


6 comments:

  1. That sounds really good! I am not a vegan or lactose intolerant but I love coconut so I'd really want to try that. I like how you told us what maybe messed up your whipped cream so that in the future we don't make the same mistake. Hope it works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Juliet! I agree that it is awesome that there are so many options out there for people who have certain dietary needs! It is fascinating what can be done with foods that you would never expect to be a substitute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Zainab! I think that you would really like it, especially if you love coconut. It was also really easy to make, so it is great for any occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaitlyn this coconut whipped cream sounds really good! I love coconut so I'm going to give this is a shot. I like how you told us it didn't work out but we learn from our mistakes. I hope it turns out better the next time you make it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Divya! This recipe is super easy to make, especially if you dont make the same mistakes as me. I hope that you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kaitlyn, i really enjoyed reading your blog! I've never made whip cream before but i think i might have to make some of this one. Sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete