Saturday, January 27, 2018

Creating my own characters Stage 5 - Color scheme

Creating My Own Characters Stage 5- Color Scheme 

Stage 5 is the last stage in creating my characters. In stage one I developed their personality's and body structures, stage 2 was facial structures, stage 3 combining the body with the face and stage 4 was the outfit/costume design. In stage 5 i will be talking about how you can use the color scheme to enhance your characters personality and give them a little more of a lively look. Because my characters have different outfits I will be talking about the edgy side and and elegant side of the color scheme. 

Vicky

Vicky's outfit was created in stage 4 and it was based on a Laura croft design that I saw, I used the Laura Croft photo as my inspiration for both the outfit and the color scheme.  Due to the fact that her outfit is a lot edger than Eric's and plays with her sarcastic character, most of it is black or a dull gray. Her pants are the largest part of her outfit and I kept them black with the rings around her knee and thigh white to draw more attention to those areas. "Make the large part of the outfit a duller color to draw attention to the details" (Brooks 72). There are a few pops of color in her outfit like the red lipstick, the blue case she has strapped around her left thigh and the vibrant purple long combat boots. I gave her a dark pecan colored brown hair color and to match her hair a coffee eye color, both of these colors pop out on her caramel skin tone. Another detail I added was the black streaks in her hair to show hoe here hair is parted and or styled. The colors work together because they are a lot of dark warm tones with pops of cool tone when working with a edger outfit.






Eric 



For Eric's costume, because it is a lot more elegant and classier I didn't add as many details that would pop with color because i wanted the main focus to be on the suit itself rather than the details. To show that there are details without a difference of colors I just changed my shading, the fold and creased parts of his suit are a lot darker than the parts that are just flat material. Tip: outlining is the most important part if you want something to stand out. I outlined Eric;s suit because I wanted to show how it hugged it figure and gave him a little more dimension than before. The shirt under the tie and the suit is a crisp white because it give the outfit a more refined and classier look making Eric looking more professional. "The key to a men's outfit is the subtle mix of darker colors than bright colors" (Brooks 76).  His  dark brown shoes and the while buttons on his vest play as those little subtle details and wrap the outfit.







That was it for color scheme and I hoped you enjoyed coming along with me as I created and developed Eric and Vicky. :)


How did you characters come out? Did you enjoy this blog?



Brooks, Josiah. Draw with Jazza - Creating Characters: Fun and Easy Guide to Drawing Cartoons and Comics. Impact, 2016. 










 

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Really enjoyed reading your blog! Your characters are turning out fantastic! It was really great to see you working with simplistic colors and really working to make the character stand out rather than the colors of the costume. Outlining definitely helps make things stands out, however if you were using a different art style what technique would you use to make something pop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like your character designs turned out great! I liked how you considered your character's personality when creating their color schemes. Something that might be fun to look at for this is color symbolism. It's fun to see how the colors you chose unconsciously reflected their personality (or didn't) from the symbolism from their color scheme.
    Here's hoping you'll have fun continuing to work with your characters!

    ReplyDelete