Sunday, January 28, 2018

Biscotti Da Te

For my last IRP project I wanted to make something a little easier and fun, so I decided to make
biscotti da te from The Il Fornaio Baking Book. “Biscotti da te -  literally, ‘tea cookies’ -  are buttery
confections that are  baked either plain or topped with a fruit jam.” (Galli 147). The cookies turned out
delicious and were greatly enjoyed.  
Adding egg
Creaming the butter and sugar 
The first step was to mix the butter and sugar. I added both ingredients  to my mixer then creamed
them together for about 5 minutes. Next I added one whole egg and continued  creaming the
ingredients together. Finally I added the last of the wet ingredients, an egg yolk, vanilla, and lemon
zest. Then slowly I mixed the flour into the wet ingredients,  as I added the flower the dough began to
come together and become easy to work with. I turned the dough out onto a counter top and kneaded
Scraps and cookies with jam before baking.
a few times before flattening it into a disk and letting it chill in the fridge for about an hour. Once the
dough had chilled, I rolled  the dough out then using a cookie  cutter  shaped as many cookies as
I could. I gathered the scraps and rolled the dough out one more time. I cut out more cookies but,
since Galli recommends not to roll out the dough again or risk your cookies developing a tough texture (Gali 147)
I decided to bake the leftover scraps.
I immediately baked about half of the cookies but decided to try jam on the other half.  Galli
explained how the jam is spread over the top of the cookie. “Make a shallow indentation in the center
of each cookie and spoon ½ teaspoon raspberry or apricot  jam into each hollow.” (Galli 147). I
carefully followed Galli’s instructions trying to avoid dripping the jam and mostly succeeding. I baked all
the cookies for about 15 minutes, until they were solid and dry.


Cookies after baking
The cookies got many rave reviews both the ones
with and without jam. I think that the jam ones were a bit better because the jam made them less dry and the lemon and raspberry flavors compliment each other.  Over the course of the last quarter I have learned a lot and I am a better baker now then I was when I started. I now know have a better understanding of Italian baking and all the work it requires.


Works Cited 
Galli, Franco. The Il Fornaio Baking Book: Sweet and Savory Recipes from the Italian Kitchen. Chronicle, 2003.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Ella. Those cookies look so good and the ones with the jam look even better. I do have a question about how you made the batter. When you were creaming the butter and sugar, how were you able to make sure you didn't overbeat it? When I make cupcakes, I made the mistake of overbeating the butter, so I was wondering how you were able to do it without overbeating? Cookies look delicious by the way!

    ReplyDelete