Sunday, January 28, 2018

Hills

By: Nicholas Hamakami

               Hello everybody! I’ve been experimenting with many different workouts, and today I thought I should talk about hill runs. Although difficult, hill training is one of my favorite workouts. Coach always pushed us to run hill workouts once every few weeks, and I would never fail to feel the benefits on the days following. Hills are tough, but they are one of the most efficient ways to train the entire body. Hill training pays huge dividends to both the heart and legs, and it also has a decreased risk of injury when compared to other workouts. 

               Hill training’s efficiency comes from its ability to strengthen multiple parts of the body at once. According to Amby Burfoot, the hard work from hill climbing aids in both cardiovascular and strength training, something that not every workout can pull off (Burfoot 74). As Burfoot states, the main draw of hill climbing is efficient strength to both the heart and legs. Although tough, the benefits of hill repeats make the difficulty all worth it in the end. In addition to strengthening multiple parts of the body, running uphill also reduces the chance of injury.

Hill training is a safe workout, for it doesn’t overload the body. As Amby Burfoot explains, “Running uphill… lessens the impact force of each footfall. Impact force is a major contributor to the overuse injuries that trouble many runners” (Burfoot 74). Hill training doesn’t stress the body as much as other workouts, and this in turn can help reduce the chance of injury. Because of this added benefit, the hill workout has become one of my favorite types of training.

A hill doesn't have to be steep. Whatever's comfortable will work the best!

Hill workouts add a lot to the table, and it is hard for me to resist adding them into my routine every few weeks. I like getting faster and stronger at the same time, and running with my friends can help make the workout more manageable. Although hills are beneficial, I don’t feel like they are as mainstream as other types of training. With this in mind I must ask, have you guys ever attempted a hill run before? If you have, what did you think of it? I know hill workouts are one of my favorites, but I want to know if you all feel the same. I hope you guys keep running, and I will see you all next time!

Source: Burfoot, Amby. The Principles of Running: Practical Lessons from My First 100,000 Miles. Rodale, 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment