Monday, January 22, 2018

Picture Frame Garden

Urban Gardening for Dummies offers great insight into how to enjoy gardening with limited space. One method the book suggested is a picture frame garden and I'll be personally trying out this project. If any questions arise after reading through my steps feel free to contact me, I'd be happy to clarify anything unclearly depicted through my pictures. Let's get started!


Step 1: Get an old picture frame whether it's laying around your house or you find one at the thrift store.










Step 2: Create a shadow box with pieces of wood measured to each side.  
 *I used a nail gun to attach the pieces of wood and a cut a long stake of wood into my smaller pieces 










Step 3: Cut out wire grid to fit the frame.
 *I use the sunflower picture that came with my frame as a measuring guide and pliers to cute to wire.









Step 4: Press your cut and measured wire grid into the frame. 
 *This can be a bit tricky just to do with your hands so I used a screw driver to force it in.
 *I also chose to secure the wire grid with a staple gun, this prevented it from bending.







CHECK IN: Right now this is how the pieces together will look.
 *The pieces of wood should be connected and the wire grid placed in the frame. 

Step 5: Now that the frame piece is completed with the wire grid, It's time to look at our shadow box. Get some wood glue and a paintbrush, coat the frame and the wood with the glue. 
 *I added weights so the pieces dried together firmly. 










Step 6: After the wood glue has dried cut a plywood backing to complete your shadow box. 
 *Use a short nail and hammer to attach the backing.


















Step 7: The fun part, adding the dirt and plants! First get your soil and start to shovel in your dirt into through the wire grid. Continue filling until full. 
 *If your not sure about the soil or want to know more about the soil, check out my first post "It's All About the Dirt" 








Step 8: Succulents! Weave the roots into the wire grid and more dirt to secure them. 
 *You can add as many succulents as you like and in whatever order. 
 *BE CAREFUL WHILE HANDLING THE SUCCULENTS, THEY ARE FRAGILE! 




















Step 9: Attach hooks to the back of the frame or leave it as a table centerpiece.









What do you think of the final turn out, worth the work? Also, let me know if you'd ever be interested in making out for yourself! 
A final shout out and huge thank you to my friend for letting me use his succulents for this project!









Association, National Gardening., et al. Urban Gardening For Dummies. John Wiley & Sons, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment