Sunday, January 28, 2018

Instant Pot Cooking: Mashed Sweet Potatoes

For the last blog of the quarter, I wanted to cook something sweet. I've been craving sweetness, but I'm one of those people who can't take too much of it. For example, I usually can't finish a big lollipop because of two reasons: one is that my tongue feels worn down, and two, my stomach gets tired of the flavor and sweetness. In Janet A. Zimmerman's book, Instant Pot Obsession, I cooked her mashed sweet potatoes recipe. With the marshmallows on top, it is traditionally served around the Thanksgiving holidays.

This meal was by far, the most exciting and fun recipe I have cooked in the book. My favorite part about it was mashing the sweet potatoes. I know that it's weird but I find it oddly satisfying. The butter added made the final product have a rich, creamy taste. Step 3 says, "Remove the steamer from the pot and set the potatoes aside. Pour the water out of the pot and wipe it dry. Select Sauté and adjust to Less for low heat. Pour in the [1/4 cup of] half-and-half and add the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter" (Zimmerman 58). The previous tablespoon of butter was used previously. 

Pressure cooking the potatoes took the longest. The sweet potatoes need time to tender in hot water, allowing you to easily mash them. Step 2 says, "Pile the sweet potatoes in a steamer basket and place the basket in the Instant Pot. Add the water to the pot. Lock the lid into place. Select Manual; adjust the pressure to High and the time to 8 minutes. After cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure. Unlock and remove the lid" (Zimmerman 57).  

The marshmallows added on top complimented the dish well.  I did try the mashed sweet potatoes without them and they tasted fine. I didn't think that I could eat it plain as a whole meal. After tasting it with toasted marshmallows, it added the perfect amount of sweetness for me to handle. Overall, I loved the taste and consistency of this dish, and I sure am going to make it for the holidays later on in the year!

The knick-knacks I need to know to work the Instant Pot are almost mastered. After a couple more times of cooking with it, I'm sure I'll know how to work it without being clumsy, taking a long time, or just having no idea what I'm doing. Cooking with the Instant Pot really expanded my experience and knowledge about working in the kitchen. But the most important thing about it, is that the Instant Pot helped me. It saved a lot of my time in the day. Work smarter, not harder.

Do you like mashed sweet potatoes? With or without marshmallows? Also, do you have a sweet tooth?


No comments:

Post a Comment