Thursday, January 25, 2018

Winning Chess Tactics "The Skewer"

Yasser Seirawan expresses another tactic to take down your foes in chess. This tactic is known as the pin in reverse. Yasser Seirawan goes into detail and says "A skewer has been likened to pin in reverse. With a pin, the attacker's objective is to win the pinned piece or the more valuable piece behind it." So, the difference between a Pin and a Skewer is that the more valuable piece is in front of the piece of lesser value.
The opponent has to move the king to save it or else it gets captured and in chess when the king gets captured that means the game is over. So, the queen is checkmating the king and the opponent has to move the king. When he moves the king, your queen has a direct shot at the opponents queen.
I honestly use this trick the most or this usually happens when I don't even realize that I have done the skewer. I'm usually playing with my family, heading into the final turns of the chess match and trying to checkmate the king, but out of nowhere I check the king and when he moves the king it leaves a wide open strike for me to attack the piece on the other side. Like Yasser said "With a skewer, the attacker objective is to threaten a valuable piece so that it is forced to move, allowing the capture of a piece behind it."

No comments:

Post a Comment