Saturday, January 27, 2018

Doughnuts - Baked Raised

For my last blog post, I decided to try to make another doughnut. This time, I chose to make a baked doughnut. The recipe described the baked doughnut as "soft and light" which immediately made me want to try it out.

First, I put an egg and sugar in a bowl of a stand mixer and I turned that on until everything was all mixed. Then, slowly I added in milk, yeast, salt, vanilla, and butter. Once all of those ingredients were dissolved and mixed together, I began to add flour half a cup at a time with the stand mixer on low. Then I kneaded the dough and put it in a bowl and let it sit for an hour. The hardest part for me was when the dough kept sticking to the hook in the stand mixer. As the mixer was on, the dough would stick and not mix so I'd have to go in with a spoon.

After an hour, I got the dough and rolled it out with a rolling pin so that it was 1/2 an inch thick. I cut the doughnut shape with the top of a cup because I didn't have a doughnut cutter but it still worked. Then I let the cut out doughnuts sit for 20 minutes to double in size and then I popped them in the oven for about 7-8 minutes. They came out golden brown.

The doughnuts with the maple glaze on top, 
Making this batch of doughnuts was much easier for me this time around and that might be because it's not my first time making them. I had the experience of making the doughnuts from last time which helped out. The doughnuts this time were smooth on top and the maple glaze stuck easily. I was pretty pleased with the results and they tasted really good! 

What do you guys think? Have you ever had something not go so well at first and when you tried it out again you improved?


1 comment:

  1. These doughnuts look so good Zainab! It was a great idea to use a cup to cut the circular shape you were looking for.

    -Alexis

    ReplyDelete