Sunday, January 29, 2017

A piece of (Coffee) Cake?


Coffee cake!

This treat being among my favorites to eat looked very challenging at least for me to make, since I usually bake more simple dishes. But I took this challenge head on and I was excited to see what would come of it. So to start off here are the ingredients used: 

Ingredients :

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 11/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 

After I made sure I had all the ingredients I preheated the oven to 350 degrees and made sure it was all ready. In my book it said to ,"Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan" (Meredith). Then, to paraphrase my book said I had to make the streusel topping in a medium bowl and mix the flour, sugar, and cinnamon so it resembled thick crumbs . So I followed the instructions as pictured here:


Mixing topping
Greased and floured pan

After I had made the topping I set that aside and in a big bowl mixed flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, vanilla extract, milk, butter, and an egg. When I finished that I put that into the greased and floured pan then put the topping over the contents of the pan. Here's a picture of that step:
Topping over mix
"You want a piece of me punk?" No probably not :'(
Next, It went into the preheated oven to bake set for 25 minutes. After the timer went off I checked the cake and it was under done so I stuck it in for a little bit longer and after that time it was then fully baked. When the final product was out of the oven the topping looked nothing like the pictures. Here is what came out of the oven:
ugly coffee cake = disappointed baker 
In my mind Gordon Ramsay was screaming " you call that a cake an infant could have done better!!" But, despite it's outward appearance the cake was still enjoyable and I did put a lot of effort into it so I guess what I learned and what you can take from this is, things don't always turn out the way you plan but that's okay. With that said I would like to pose the following question...

Question: What challenges do you face and have to overcome when shooting for a goal or striving to a achieve something?

Citation:Corperation, Meredith. New Cookbook. Des Moines, IA: Better Homes and Gardens, 2002. Print.

1 comment:

  1. Don't judge a book by its cover! As long as it tasted like coffee cake I would love it. I'm not the best baker and usually the things I try to bake don't look pretty, but they usually end up tasting great! I was wondering, if you could re make this cake next time to look like the desired cake you want it to, what would you do?

    ReplyDelete