Saturday, January 14, 2017

Italian Fruit Sorbet

Italian Fruit Sorbet
(Sorbetti Alla Fruita)

For this post, I decided to attempt something that doesn't really depend on presentation. Sorbet from the picture provided seems easier. 
As you can see the consistency is not too much like ice cream
The history of fruit Sorbet from the book: "Sorbet, a cold dessert eaten with a spoon, is an ancestor of Gelato. Ancient Romans enjoyed Sorbet as a pleasing way to beat the summer heat. Apparently, the emperor Nero had ice brought in from the Apennines so that he could enjoy delicious, refreshing fruit sorbets. " ((Grazia, Mario, and Academia Barilla. Italian Desserts and Pastries. Vercelli: White Star, 2014. Print.)

Paraphrase: Sorbet is one of the signature desserts in history consumed by many and especially Italians. It is not to be confused with Gelato, or Granita (what I will be making next!).
Ingredients needed for the strawberry sorbet


Making the Sorbet: The book had two different recipes of Sorbet but I decided to go with strawberry Sorbet. Overall this dessert was pretty simple. First, boil 300 ml of water then place the strawberries in. I made sure to cut them up after I measured them so they could boil under the water. Then you were to whisk the 200 grams of sugar into the mixture. The book wanted the overall temperature to be around 150°F. Once that temperature was reached, it was time to remove the pot from heat and wait for it to cool a bit before adding the lemon juice. I just gave it around 30 minutes and then added the lemon juice.


The syrup made about a quart






Later, it was time to put the syrup away for 6 hours. Since I had school the next day it was more like 9 hours, but I don't think that really matters.









The next morning, I let it unfreeze for a bit before moving on. The recipe called for an ice cream maker, but I do not have one so I just used a blender. While this sounds weird, I just put the mixture into the Puree setting and added some ice. The syrup was very sticky though, and fun to clean up!
                                                                             
Haha the syrup sticking to the sides funnn

This was the final product: 
Review~ In the picture it kinda looks like a smoothie but was actually close to the ice cream texture. It was more of a sludge. Sorbet pictures usually look a lot more like ice cream but I figured this works because it resembles the book picture and I did what I could. While making this, the fresh strawberries smelled really good. The taste of this wasn't super great but was still Sorbet so I liked it. The lemon juice was not at all prominent and the drink overall just tasted like a standard sugary drink. I still learned a bit from this experience though.



Questions:
Do you own an ice cream maker? Have you ever made your own ice cream or Sorbet? What suggestions do you have for me?

Citation: Barilla, Academia. Italian Desserts and Pastries: Delicious Recipes for 100 Authentic Sweets. Vercelli: White Star, 2014. Print.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jenny!
    To answer your question: No, I don't own an ice cream maker, but I have made ice cream. I used a no-churn technique that actually worked out pretty good, but it was a lot of time and effort that I probably won't attempt again. I'm glad you enjoyed your sorbet, and I look forward to hearing more about your Italian dessert adventures!
    ~Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phoenix!
      Thanks for commenting, I really appreciate it. That no churn method sounds interesting - but I agree a lengthy amount of time is not worth it. Maybe i'll just buy an ice cream maker sometime.
      Thanks for your input!
      ~Jenny

      Delete