Sunday, January 22, 2017

Drawing the Windows to the Soul

Sight of Interest

Continuing on from my last post on drawing facial parts I decided this time to start working on drawing the eyes of a person. The author of the book I'm using to help me with my drawings (Lee Hammond) makes it clear that the eyes are not only her favorite thing to draw, but also an important part of a picture, so much so that even an entire drawing could be based around just the eye. In my last post I mentioned the book saying it's best to think of a drawing as pieces of a puzzle, which is especially true for the eyes. Lee Hammond's Big Book of Drawing states ". . .the eye is just shapes. An eye looks more like puzzle pieces than any other feature." (Hammond 26).


To expand on this theory of viewing the eye as a puzzle I took a snapshot of the different parts of the eye that make up the whole thing. This was a really useful way for me to understand where to place and draw all the various parts of an eye. To layout what each part of the eye is as seen in the picture towards the right: 1 is the iris, 2 the pupil, 3 the flash or catch light, 4 and 5 are the white of the eyes, 6 the upper lash line, 7 the lower lid thickness, 8 the upper eyelid, 9 and 10 the corner eye membrane, and 11 the eyebrow. All eyes have most of these components, yet they still have their own differences that make them unique from each other. It's explained in my book that eyes can tell a story from how they're drawn, not to mention that they can also tell you a lot about the person to which they belong. That is why I feel that when you draw eyes, every detail counts and adds to the overall final product.

Shedding Some Light 

 The pictures on the right show my first attempts at drawing eyes. I decided to have both be drawn in the same view, instead of a side or slanted view to keep it consistent since I was trying it out for the first time. Both pictures contain the same physical components that an eye usually has and needs, but at the same time they have their own distinct look and characteristics. For example, both eyes also have eyebrows, but one has a much more distinctive arch and defined line, while the other has much straighter and bushier brow. While on the topic of the brow, it's important to note that I didn't just simply color them in. I had to first draw small hairs all pointed in the same direction, not with hard drawn lines, but soft ones. After those are established it helps to fill in the rest of the brow by blending it all out. What stands out to me in both eyes is their catch light (white circles) that give them more of a life like appearance with the help of some shading. 

Views For Thought 

My first try at drawing eyes was very intriguing to say the least because it did help me look at yet another part of a person in a different and unique way than I had never noticed or seen before. The steps I take to complete each drawing help me better understand the inner workings of what I draw and the various ways I can represent it through artwork. I still strive to try and make my drawings life like, but I would like to know if you have ever seen  piece of artwork, whether it be cartoon, abstract, or still life, that has made you see things that you notice in your everyday life differently? Thank you so much for reading, and feel free to leave a comment below about anything I've shared.

References 

 Hammond, Poly Lee. Lee Hammond's Big Book of Drawing. First ed. Cincinnati, OH: North Light, 2004. Print.


 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tolu!
    I've noticed that you've really improved, and I'm really enjoying your drawings. To answer your question there is no particular drawing that had ever made me view life differently. For me it has always been books and movies that alter my view on life. I was wondering if this applied to you too!

    From what I read, I had learned that just by altering your eyebrows it can alter how your eye looks drastically. This could also be seen in your drawings. What you said about all eyes having the same component really hit me, because I never realized that it's possible for eyes to have the same component.
    Overall your posts have really improved, and it's really "eye" opening! Good luck on your next drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Thuy!
    Thank you for complimenting the improvement of my drawings, I really appreciate it! I have definitely seen countless movies and a few books that allow me to see from a different perspective and make me understand something that I didn't even give a second glance to before.

    I specifically chose to ask how you may see things from an artistic perspective because as I've been drawing I have been introduced to new ways of looking at objects in order to draw them as they appear in still life. Like how you said you were surprised that all eyes practically had the same components but could look different with only subtle changes made to the eyebrow. It's that kind of amazement that can allow you to see and understand anything that you draw in a new light. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete