Saturday, January 21, 2017


 Back- At You

 

               Some people find that the backhand can be difficult to master because it is hard to learn how to gain control and have accuracy with this shot. In the beginning I struggled with this technique as well because I felt like I never had control. This shot can be hard to master if you don’t know the best tips and techniques for getting the shot down.

 

               One thing, I learned on how to make a backhand shot easier to control and how to create more force is the way you position/ place your hands on the racquet. Most people will place their hands apart on the racquet which makes the racquet go against itself, so when you do hit the ball with this shot, your swing won’t be controlled since one hand is trying to hit the ball one way and the other hand is trying to hit the ball in a different direction. So in other words, they are going against each other when your hands are apart on the racquet like the image on the left.

 

 

 

 



               I learned that when you are doing a backhand shot is that you should either interlock your hands together or have them right on top of each other. This will cause more control and force when you hit a ball coming at you. When you have your hands together this will have them work together as “one”. They will hit the ball from the same direction and not go against each other like they would if you were to have your hands spread apart on a racquet. This will create stronger support when the racquet comes into contact with the ball, as well as give you an easier shot. Once, I began using this technique more I found it to be more successful and easier to gain control on where I want my balls to return. Some people found that with this technique of interlocking your hands with this shot, it may seem a little more difficult for you to be ready for the next shot after the backhand, when you may need a different position, but with time and practice you will soon get used to the transition of your placement with your hands.

  


Another thing that you should do when you are coming into contact with the ball on your backhand shot, is that you need your arms to be extended/straight and not crammed against your body. If your arms are straight, it allows more room for your swinging motion and to be able to do your follow-through. When your arms are close against your body you won’t get the full swing, which can cause a weak shot or end up going out.

 

               An additional tip, I found useful when reading the book was that, “If you have a rotation right, you will rotate through the stroke so that your follow-through takes you back to facing the net” (McCloud 24). When you do your backhand you want to be in a stance that allows you to feel balanced, as well as powerful. So, what he is saying is that when you rotate, you want to have that stance and your arms swinging all the way through in order for it to be powerful and a successful shot. When they say follow-through, that typically means that you will start your swing down by your side with the racquet facing its strings down and when you are about to hit the ball you will gradually raise your racquet up and have the racquet string’s face to the side to carry the shot upward as the ball comes into contact, then you will come up with the swing and even after the ball has been shot over the net you are going to continue with that swing. The racquet should end up by your ear for an effective shot.


 


 
 







 

               For me, that was something I struggled with because I kept forgetting to follow-through with my swing, which led to a weak shot. Once, you continually practice with the follow-through it will become more natural and you will notice your shots becoming more successful and they will glide over the net, which will give you an advantage. With the backhand you will also need to get your timing down as well because you need to prepare for when the ball comes. If you aren’t prepared and don’t have your racquet facing down and ready to carry the ball up, then it will either pass you or you will swing randomly, which I bet will be an easy shot for your opponent or the ball will go out making you lose the point.

 

               I know I have repeatedly mentioned timing with each post, but that is very crucial in the game of tennis, whether it’s preparing for a shot or serving. Also, don’t get frustrated right away, when your backhands don’t make it over or they aren’t controlled, it takes time to get your backhand shot down. That is something I struggled with in the beginning, but with time and consistent practicing I began to feel better with my shots. I hope these tips are helpful for you, like they have been for me.

 

Question: When you do a backhand shot, which do you prefer, your hands apart or close together on the racquet’s handle and why one over the other?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah,

    I'm so glad you did a post about strengthening backhand shots! I personally think that my backhands are a lot weaker than my forehand shots. Almost every time I am competing in a match, I approach shots that are coming to my left side by running faster to the ball to give me room for a forehand shot to assure I won't miss it. Clearly I don't try to hit a backhand because I'd rather put more effort into making it hard for my opponent to hit a strong fast ball rather than using my backhand to return the ball weak, slow, and floating in the air. My backhand shots often give my opponent the advantage of moving in towards the net to spike the ball and makes it hard for me to get to and lose the point.

    This post helped me realize that I should continue practicing my backhand shots with giving myself time to move into the ball with the correct positioning of my hands on the racket and my body. I definitely agree that timing is critical because it sets the mood about how strong and fast the ball will be approaching over the net.

    To answer your question, for backhand shots I often use my right hand and use the "butterfly" technique. The butterfly technique is using your right hand by approaching a ball coming to your left and swinging out like you're about to fly or flap your wings. This shot tends to be on the weaker side for me since I have to extend my arm on to the other side of my body, but this shot helps me at least get the ball over the net by adding slices. I prefer to have both my hands closer together when I try to do a proper backhand but sometimes I feel like having my hands spread apart gives me more control.

    I'm definitely going to try these tips during the tennis season to improve my backhands. These posts of yours are amazing and I'm glad you show a passion for your topic.

    -Allison :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allison,

    Thank you for reading my post! I have trouble with my backhand too because it's very difficult to find that rhythm of control you get when you hit a backhand correctly.

    I think that technique that you do for backhands sounds interesting, I think I'll try that for myself to change things up a bit and see what works the best. I really do hope that some of my tips will be very beneficial and helpful for your game play.

    I'm glad these tips are useful to you and good luck at tennis tryouts! You will do amazing!

    ReplyDelete