Sunday, January 29, 2017

CHEESECAKE RADIATION??!!!??!!?!?!

"The best cheesecake I've ever had!" -Person at social event

For my third cheesecake I decided to make something with chocolate! What could be better than basic cheesecake but with chocolate chips? Basic cheesecake but with mini chocolate chips! With my previous disaster I decided to go back to basics and stick with a much simpler recipe. I followed the directions this time, to ensure the best turn out of my creation.


Cheesecake

with Chocolate Chips




Since I don't like shortbread very much, for this recipe I decided to make a regular graham cracker crust because I prefer the flavor. I used this crust in my previous cheesecake so I already knew how to make it.

Dilemma 1: Following the correct instructions.


The recipe explains how to cook the cheesecake, for a total of 40 minutes at 375℉ (Schulman 160). I was sure to actually follow the directions after my previous catastrophe. After baking the cheesecake as directed, I also followed the cooling instructions. My book also said to reduce the oven temperature to 250℉ and then turn it off (Schulman 160). Once the cheesecake was cooled, it looked perfectly cooked! I guess that’s what happens when you follow a recipe. The structural and textural differences can be clearly seen between my second and third cheesecake.



Mushy and wet because it wasn't baked long enough.
Cooked for the right amount of time. Sturdy and creamy.

 Dilemma 2: Crusty surfaces.

To make my cheesecake look cuter than previous ones I listened to my recipe when it said "for a beautiful chocolate chip top, sprinkle an additional 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips over the top of the cake batter before baking" (Schulman 160). The result was a chocolaty looking masterpiece. You could see how the surface of the cheesecake had risen and stretched around the chocolate chips. Shiny hills caught the light perfectly and created depth, proving that this was more than just the top of a cheesecake. It was a jewel, a gem. Cream of the crop. An angelic creation radiating pure brilliance, surrounded by an aura of innocence and creamy exquisiteness. A delicacy fit for a king.


What it could have been.
What it was.





Glorious

Overall:
I am pretty proud of this cheesecake. The taste, texture and looks were all A-1. I would love to make (and eat) this again. I'm definitely getting better at this whole cheesecake thing.

Pros:
  • Tasted fantastic
  • Creamy
  • Great texture
  • Crust even tasted good

Cons:
  • A bit cracked on the top from cooling.









Question:
What is a skill you are getting better at or have improved in?
Haha it's not like anyone is going to actually comment on this because it is so late.



Schulman, Maureen, Tara Lane, Diana Moles, and Jolene Worthington. The Eli's Cheesecake Cookbook. N.p.: Eli's Cheesecake, 2015. Print.

Posted by Kierra Long

4 comments:

  1. The cheesecake looks very good!! Hopefully I'll be able to recreate it! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Good luck and I hope it tastes great!
    Festive,
    Kierra

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really delicious! I haven't done much baking outside of box cakes, but I will definitely have to give this recipe a try! Thanks for sharing, Kierra! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I bet, have fun with that! May your cheesecake skills improve as much as mine have.
    Festive,
    Kierra

    ReplyDelete