Saturday, January 28, 2017

Apple Bran Muffins

Unfortunately this will be my last baking adventure for a while. I have enjoyed this project very much because it allowed me to bake every few weeks without having to come up with a reason why. I enjoy baking but don't get to do it very often due to school. This last recipe was inspired by my dad. He wanted me to make him some bran muffins for a quick breakfast food. 
Buttermilk substitutes
These muffins were fairly easy to make although I did have to make a few substitutions. The original ingredients were to have "bran muffin mix and buttermilk" (Byrn 233). When I went to the store, I
could only find oat bran muffin mix so I substituted that for the bran mix. The other substitution I made was making acidified milk to substitute for butter milk "one tablespoon lemon juice to a liquid measuring cup, and add enough milk until it measures 1 cup. Stir, and let sit for five minutes before using." (epicurious.com). I opted to make the acidified milk instead of buying buttermilk because I did not need more than about 2 cups of the buttermilk since I decided to double the recipe.
Ingredients
As I mentioned I had doubled this recipe since the original said it only made "6-7 muffins" (Byrn 233). I doubled this recipe thinking it would give me 12-14 muffins but instead got 28 muffins! I was really surprised since that was close to triple of the original recipe. As I was looking back at my cookbook I found why this might have happened, I had used two boxes of muffin mix which totaled to about 28 ounces of muffin mix. In order to stick with the double recipe I would have only needed one box since the original recipe only called for one seven ounce box of muffin mix.
Finished product! They were so good I would sometimes eat them for snack



Question: What is your favorite breakfast food?

Byrn, Anne. Cupcakes from the Cake Mix Doctor. New York, Workman Pub., 2005. 
Stockwell, Anna. "The Best Buttermilk Substitutes." Epicurious, Conde Nast, 27 Feb. 2015, 
     www.epicurious.com/ingredients/substitute-buttermilk-baking-article.

1 comment:

  1. The muffins look delicious! My favorite breakfast food is blueberry pancakes. I love fruity yet sweet breakfasts. I was wondering if you would ever make these muffins again? Did your dad like them? how long did the muffins last after you made them?

    ReplyDelete