Saturday, January 28, 2017

Tonal Shading

        In the post before, I finished my drawing with the crosshatching technique and I think I've mastered that technique. In the post, I'll be using tonal lines to create a sense of value and depth. Tonal lines are, "shading the light areas by leaving it empty of drawn lines, but darkens the area not hit by the light. The pencil marks in this technique are small and close together" (Willenbrink 84). This to me is easier that crosshatching because what you basically do is create a light source in your picture and shade using shadows that are away from light (Willenbrink 87). When I first looked into it, the first image that appeared in my head was Spider-man because he shows many you have to use use empty lines to create depth.


Instead of drawing the original Spider-Man up, I decided to spice it up a bit and make a new design. This is what tonal shading looks like. You think of where you want the light source to be, and you create a shadow by using a technique of lines and shadows, kind of like a combination of crosshatching, and dark-to-light shading. I think my new design is a little bland, but I just wanted to start off with something easy since it's my first time ever doing tonal shading, at least knowing.


Bibliography: Willenbrink, Mark, and Mary Willenbrink. Drawing for the Absolute Beginner: A Clear & Easy Guide to Successful Drawing. Cincinnati, OH: North Light, 2006. Print.

How did my design, for Spider-Man look? Do you like tonal shading more, or crosshatching?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Abdi!
    I've really enjoyed your blog posts, I never knew you were such a great artist! To answer your question, I like your tonal shading more. Not to say that your crosshatching is worse, but your tonal shading seems more unique and realistic which I enjoy. One thing I've liked about these blog posts is that you can see all these hobbies people have which you never thought they would of had before. I wanted to know, how often do you draw, or for how long have you enjoyed drawing? I don't get to play guitar as often as I like, but I've been doing it since the sixth grade. Anyways, I enjoyed reading your blogs, keep it up!
    -Icevar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Icevar, thank you for the comment, I really appreciate it. In the beginning, I just doodled for most of the time, but, by middle school I wanted to take my drawing to a better level. I still enjoy doodling more than serious drawing because doodling is more relaxed, since you get to draw whatever you want. Again though, thank you very much!

      Delete
    2. Hello Abdi, I was just curious about one aspect of your shading methodology. Have you ever tried to make lines that face away from your apparent light source darker than the ones that are? Sometimes it can give your figures a deeper sense of depth inside the drawing. I hope this can help you in some way. Nice drawing of the best super-hero though. Keep it up.
      -Rafe H

      Delete