Monday, January 16, 2017

Cookies n' Cream Cupcakes

I remembered my mom baking these for my birthday when I was in elementary school, and I also remembered loving them because they were so delicious and creamy. I was really excited when I found this recipe in this cookbook.
Cupcake batter
While I was making these cupcakes I discovered just how hard it is to split an Oreo cookie. According to the cookbook you were supposed to "Count out 12 Oreos and separate the top and bottom wafers. Make sure each has some of the icing on it" (Byrn, page 136). I found it very difficult to get half of the creamy filling on each wafer half. While attempting this I ended up breaking several of the wafer halves because I was trying to put the icing on the half. In the end I swapped out the broken wafers for whole ones since I knew that I had to crush Oreos later on. My solution to getting the cream on each wafer was to spread the cream with a knife on the empty half.
Frosting the cupcakes
Buttercream frosting ingredients
This time when I made these cupcakes I waited a day before frosting them. I did this in part because it was late when I finished baking them but also because I didn't want to clean the mixing bowl that night so I could make the frosting. I didn't want to wait for the cupcakes to cool off before placing them in a container to insure that they stayed moist so I looked to Anne Byrn for advice. She suggests "If you are not going to frost the cupcakes within an hour, drape a clean, light kitchen towel (linen and cotton are best) over the cupcakes so they don't dry out" (Byrn, page 14). Draping the towel over the top of the cupcakes worked really well because they were still really moist the next day when I frosted them. After I had finished frosting the cupcakes I started putting the crushed Oreos on top of the cupcakes.
Finished product!

The cupcakes turned out great! I was especially excited that these turned out so well because I brought some to school to celebrate my friend's birthday. My friends loved them so much one of them asked me to bring them another one the day after! Another friend liked the cupcake I gave her so much she asked me to give her the recipe. I am so glad that all of my friends and family loved these cupcakes just as much as I did.


Question: What kind of topping do you like on your cupcake? What would you have done to keep your cupcakes moist? 







Byrn, Anne. Cupcakes from the Cake Mix Doctor. New York, Workman Pub., 2005.

5 comments:

  1. I know how you feel when you tried to get each side of the Oreo to have frosting on it, it's very difficult. The cupcakes look delicious! I wish I could have some right now. But I do have a question. Do you prefer to wait an hour or a day to frost your cupcakes now? And my favorite topping on a cupcake definitely frosting. Even though is technically not a topping I just love frosting too much and I can eat it for days! I loved the post and keep making more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Justine,
      I think I definitely will start frosting my cupcakes a day after because then I don't have to do as much cleaning but also I think the frosting stays better. I might just have to make some more of these cupcakes to bring and share at school since so many people have asked me for one! I'm not sure if frosting would be my favorite topping but it is for sure one of my favorites. One of my other favorite toppings is something besides the frosting like the Oreos on top of these ones.

      Delete
  2. Hi Alyssa,
    Your cupcakes do sound delicious, and I totally understand why you didn't want to frost your cupcakes right after. I was actually in a cupcake war at school that lasted for 2 days and the teams that frosted their cupcakes after they got out of the oven lost. This was because their frosting flattened and melted on the cupcake due to the heat of the cupcake even after 5 minutes. Plus, the next day the majority of the volume in the frosting was lost. So its almost better to frost them the day after. Also frosting them the day after allows any toping you put on the cupcake to mold nicely with the frosting and not crack the frosting which it would most likely do if you frosted the day you made them.
    What kind of cupcake do you see yourself making next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abby,
      With what you said about waiting to frost cupcakes the day after I definitely agree with. When I have frosted cupcakes in the past close to the time they got out of the oven I have noticed that the volume of frosting went down. With these cupcakes I didn't notice any decreased volume even in the days after being frosted, they never looked deflated. I think the next cupcake I would make would be either key lime ones for my brother's birthday or Reese's ones for my sister to surprise her when she gets home from college. Thanks for the advice!

      Delete
  3. Hey Alyssa. I love how your cupcakes turned out! When I made my cupcakes, I accidently overbeat the butter, causing the cupcakes to turn out spongey. What I was wondering is how did you make the batter for the cupcakes? Love the cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete