Saturday, January 21, 2017

Photography - Exposure

Exposure - Gatcum, Chris. The Beginner's Photography Guide, 2nd Edition. New York: DK, 2016. Print.

"Exposure: a good exposure involves balancing the aperture, shutter speed and ISO. in doing so, you determine three things: how much light passes through the lens (aperture); the length of time that light passes through the lens (shutter seed); and how sensitive to light the sensor is (ISO)."

Every good photo has to be exposed correctly, otherwise you just have a photo that either so dark you are unable to see anything, which meant it was underexposed, or a picture so bright, it just seems completely white, which is overexposed.


For example, this photo is overexposed. The colors look washed out due to too much lighting.



This photo is overexposed. The amount of light filtering through the window blinds was too much for the camera to handle.









A properly exposed photo is one tin which everything is clear and lighting that fits the mood you want to set.


Do you think all photos must have the "correct" exposure in order to be a good photo? Or do you think exposure should differ based on the mod  you want to set?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mikal! I really liked reading through your blog! I do not have too much experience in photography, though I do like to edit my photos and have a theme for my Instagram. I really liked the question you asked and in my opinion, I think that the exposure should definitely differ based on the mood you want to set because sometimes, you want to make a photo seem happier and brighter so you would add more exposure. Or, if you want a photo to seem more serious, you would keep it less exposed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I enjoyed seeing your examples of when a photograph is over or underexposed! I agree with Jaspreet in her comment above, the exposure should differ based on the desired mood. However, I also think that when you do this, you'd have to be careful, because you don't want to exaggerate how much you over- or underexpose the photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures! Personally, I think that the amount of exposure in a picture depends on the person and the look they're going for. It could also depend on what they're known for as a photographer.

    ReplyDelete