Sunday, January 29, 2017

Looks Like Trash, Tastes Like Heaven

"I think this is your best one so far. Your others were gross." -Older brother

I chose to make a cheesecake that involved some more complicated steps this time. Looking through the recipes, I found one that involved frying up some apples in butter so I thought that'd be interesting. What it lacks in beauty, it makes up for in taste.

Baked Apple Cheesecake

with Toasted Oat and Pecan Streusel




Dilemma 1: Is this how you do it?


To make the crusty crumble (or crumbly crust depending how you look at it),  you are supposed to "add 1/4 cup lightly toasted oats and 1/4 cup chopped pecans in step 2" (Schulman 115). Uhhhhh okayyyyyyy. I didn’t know what they meant by "toasted oats" so I had to put my thinking cap to work! Do oats go in the toaster? I don’t think that would work. Do you put them in the oven? I see my mom doing that sometimes. Do I cook them in a pan? That sounded pretty fast so I just dumped them in a pan and left them there for a few minutes (with the heat on). Once they were adequately hot (I guess) I tried eating one and it just tasted line an oat, Nothing special. But, that was good enough for me and I carried on with my recipe.

Is this how you do it?
Whatever.

 Dilemma 2: Greasing and scraping.


Before adding the crust and batter, you are supposed to grease and flour the spring form pan (Schulman 148). This makes the cheesecake release easier and not get stuck to the sides. On my first cheesecake I did not follow this piece of advice. The sides got stuck and I had to scrape them away from the pan with a knife. On this cheesecake however, because I greased the pan better, the cheesecake easily came away from the sides and slid right out. I had no need to pry them apart.


Notice all the scraggly bits of cheesecake siding that was scraped away from the pan?

Nothing but smooth siding from here, boys!



Overall:
This cheesecake was very delicious. The batter part (cooked) was very creamy and tasty. The apples on top were nice and sweet and tasted good with the cinnamon and added crunch of the pecans. Personally, I don't think the two components of the cheesecake mixed too well, although it was definitely a better flavor combination than my FESTIVE cheesecake.

Pros:
  • Perfectly cooked.
  • Didn't stick to pan.
  • Apples tasted nice with cinnamon.
  • Crust tasted good.

Cons:
  • The top looks grossssssss.
  • I took it out of the pan too soon, making it sag like a fat man with a muffin top.








Question:
Can you think of something gross looking that is actually really tasty?
;););)  ;);););););)  ;);););););););););););)  ;););););););););)  ;);););););););););) ;);););)



Schulman, Maureen, Tara Lane, Diana Moles, and Jolene Worthington. The Eli's Cheesecake Cookbook. N.p.: Eli's Cheesecake, 2015. Print.

Posted by Kierra Long

No comments:

Post a Comment