Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Saving The Best For Last

Hey guys!

After all the practice from the previous blog posts, I decided to do a design that showed my improvement from my first blog post to now. The improvement was great and I'm glad that I could connect with my culture more by practicing henna. As I said in some of my previous blog posts that henna is a major part of the Indian culture. It is mainly worn during weddings and special occasions. Now that I have a bit of experience of doing henna, I feel more a part of my culture which makes me happy.

For this design I did a very complicated design that I had a very difficult time to finish. This is however my best design yet in my opinion. I took my time and went slow to reach the best results I could acquire. A fellow classmate recommended that I do this design therefore, I attempted to accomplish my goal. This design is extended more onto my wrist than did my other henna designs. I got many compliments on this design and I must say it feels great to get complimented on something you spent so much time doing.

I started the part of the design on my wrist. This portion of the henna was more complicated and took longer. At first you had to make the top of the wrist which took a while. I wanted the lines to become straighter which took me longer. Then the second half of the wrist absorbed more time due to the number of details. The second half was the same as the first which I was already used to doing so that part went faster. When the flower portion came along, it took me a a while because I wanted everything to be the best it could be. I was a little proud of this part because of all the time and work it took.

I then reached the middle of the hand. This part was very complicated. It was difficult to accomplish but also turned out pretty nice. When I looked at the picture that I was using as inspiration, the design looked very complex. But, when I looked at the henna more closely, it seemed more simple. I broke the design into simple sections. It's easier to view the designs in portions rather than looking at the whole design and seeing the difficulty. If you break the design in sections, you can conquer one part of the design at a time.

Last came the fingers of the design, this part was also a little complicated. This was because, you have to make sure all the fingers follow the same design and you want them to have equal shapes. I haven't done fingers this complicated in the past before but it felt good to take on another challenge. In the book, "Teach Yourself Henna Tattoo" the author says, "Henna paste can be removed after as little as two hours to reveal the orange-burgundy temporary tattoo left" (Abdoyan 2012). This quote shows that in order for the design to leave a darker stain, you have to leave the henna on for a longer time.

Overall the design together looks very pretty and in my opinion, I have greatly improved from when I did my first blog post as a beginner, to now, my last blog post with slightly some more experience. This design took me two hours but it was all worth it. My favorite part of the design was the wrist because of all the time and energy it took.

This is the henna design right after I finished
This is the henna design after removing the paste

This is the design a day after I removed the paste

Do you think that there was an improvement from my first blog post to this current blog?

Abdoyan, Brenda. Teach Yourself Henna Tattoo: Making Mehndi Art with Easy-to-follow Instructions, Patterns, and Projects. East Petersburg, PA: Design Originals, 2012. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment