Saturday, January 21, 2017

Making apple fritters

Fritelle de mele ~ Italian name

Today I made apple fritters which is basically fried apples.


The book describes the process of making fritters generally as: "Make them of any of the batters directed for pancakes by dropping a small quantity into the pan, or to make the plainer sort, put pared apples or lemons sliced or currants into the batter. Any sweetmeats or ripe fruit may be made into fritters." (Grazia, 217).

What this means: Fritters can be made by dipping things into a pancake like batter (fruits, or meats) and then frying them like you would pancakes.

The ingredients needed: I like this recipe because it involves gold delicious apples, which are my favorite. The rest of the ingredients are pretty easy to find.


Making the fritters: The first step is to make a pancake batter with the milk, flour, eggs, sugar, pinch of salt and possibly rum. My family doesn't have rum and my dad would not buy any so I didn't use any. However, I doubt it made a big difference. 

Next it was time to peel 4 golden delicious apples, and cut them into 1/4 inch chunks. I just left them how my apple cutter cut them, because later I tried a batch with thin slices and thick slices and the thicker ones were better.


Then you could start immersing the apples into the batter, but not fry them yet. I would recommend only cutting up 3 apples because the batter barely covered them all with me doing 4.

After that, it was time to fry the apples in the batter. This is done by making a pan of vegetable oil into a simmer, and the oil is crucial. This is basically just like making pancakes, but it may splatter everywhere (and burn!!) so I didn't take pictures during this part.

Lastly, once the apple fritters had cooled down it was time to add confectioners sugar and cinnamon. That is optional, but I really liked the combination because it tasted like apple pie.



Final result: Overall I liked the recipe, and it turned out enough. Some fritters tasted like apple pie and others tasted like pancakes. This makes a LOT of fritters, which isn't exactly the healthiest. I probably wouldn't make this again, because it is easier and healthier to just eat the apples plain. It was fun to try though.



Question: Have you ever fried things other than potatoes? How do you think it tasted? What spice would you add?


Citation: Barilla, Academia. Italian Desserts and Pastries: Delicious Recipes for 100 Authentic Sweets. Vercelli: White Star, 2014. Print.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jenny!!1!
    Those actually look really tasty! I've eaten lots of fried stuff like fruits. Nectarines, peaches, and even a plantain. One time I tried frying watermelon chunks. I think it tasted extremely nasty. I would not recommend trying it unless you enjoy the flavor of dirty socks. No spice could ever save that dish. The memory of those soggy chunks still haunts me to this day. I will have to try this sometime.
    Festive,
    Kierra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kierra!
    Thanks for your input! As for your watermelon-socks situation, I imagine that would be pretty gross. Fried watery food? Eef. Grossest thing I've ever eaten is probably this nasty mixture of mustard and random stuff in the fridge (mustard, relish) me and my friend Kierra once made. Oh but you probably don't know her. P.S fried nectarines sound really good!
    ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jenny !
    To answer your question I have not experimented much with frying foods, but in relation to your creation I also made a dessert using apples with a similar process! So I can totally relate to the trauma you most likely endured whilst cutting the apples and making sure you had enough slices. Keep up the good content because your dish looks delicious!
    - Alyssa S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alyssa!
      Yes I can agree the whole baking with apples process is a little weird. I had to use this dingy peeler and it almost broke and cut my finger. Fun! I really liked the other thing I used after I peeled, because it made equal slices and was fairly easy. Thanks for your input!
      ~Jenny

      Delete